UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Length Of Military Service

Do any sources point to Marius setting a length of service for soldiers ?

The reason I ask is that in a book I am reading (The Last Generation of the Roman republic by Erich Gruen), he says:-

Polybius remarks that in the second century infantrymen were expected to serve for a fixed number of years. The precise number, unfortunately, is corrupt in the text: evidently six, but some editors have read sixteen. Whatever the figure may be, the practice may have been different in the Ciceronian period.

He then goes on to give many examples where forces in the 80s through to 50s were discharged after periods as small as two years, but not greater than 10.

This would only apply to a post-marius army anyway. Before that armies were levied year on year when the situation demanded it. In times of peace there was no standing army in the early roman period. I agree with Mr Goldsworthy for the sake of saying it, but it soon got lengthened to 25 years. Length of service was one reason for the mutinies during Augustus's reign.

I think as Furius says it was highly variable up to Augustus. Polybius service length provision would have the unspoken qualifier whether one goes with 6 or 16 years - in war time.

For the sake of it, the examples Gruen gives are as follows:-

-The majority of Sullas forces acquired in Italy 2 years prior to their being disbanded at the Civil wars conclusion.

-Sertorian War Legions of Pompey and Metellus - Retired after a maximun 10 years service in Spain, some were inherited from Lucullus, but most would have only served 6-7 years.

-Troops called up by L.Piso in 58, dismissed three years later.

One item lends itself to the 6 year term - The fact that the Senate ordered disbandment of part of Lucullus forces who claimed that their term had expired, most of which had only been in the east 7 years.

The fact that Augustus instituted a change, instituting 16 years terms, seems to indicate that it had in fact been 6 prior to that, or perhaps an ad hoc business right up to the Principate.