UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Bones Puzzle Vatican Archaeologists

Archaeologists exploring one of Rome's oldest catacombs are baffled by neat piles of more than 1,000 skeletons dressed in elegant togas. The macabre find emerged as teams of historians slowly picked their way through the complex network of underground burial chambers, which stretch for miles under the city. They say the tomb, which has been dated to the first century AD, is the first known example of a "mass burial".

full article at the Telegraph

Several things strike me.

First - I wonder what environmental conditions the bodies were found in/ Above all, where material - presumably wool or linen has been preserved.

Second - whether the way the "togas" are draped will tell us anything about the fashion, the size or shape of the garment?

Third - whether the bodies are male or female - or a mixture? If the latter, then some of the garments will not be togae, but stolae presumably?

Whether the bodieas are laid out in individual or shared (double?) niches, or in a large room?

If these are early in date, but inhumated, and wear togae - the sign of a Roman citizen - then why were they not cremated. Also are the "catacombs" concerned outside or inside the ancient City walls? Wherever they are today, in classical times burial; was not allowed within the pomerium - Trajan being the exception that proved the rule).

Finally, why Vatican archaeologists are involved and not state ones?

Thanks, Viggen, fascinating stuff.

Phil

For clarification, I wasn't getting at the Vatican or their archaeologists in my comment - on my first reading of the report, I had not picked up that the excavations were on church property - just that they were in Rome.

It is entirely right that the Vatican has responsibility in this case.

Phil

Wow thats facinating. It says they were "apparently upper-class Romans - who would normally have been cremated" but then later says they were also "wrapped in sheets covered with lime, as was common in early Christian burials.". Wonder how close they can date them.It says first century AD but that seems a little early for that many Christians from the upper classes. Hope there is a follow-up to this sometime.

Edited by Horatius

But remember that the Bible actually contains several examples of higher class citizens' conversions to Christianity. Not to tout a "side", but its important to note that a few examples of any nameable social stratum would have most likely had some converts, as with any religion, even if the beliefs were not mainstream in that given sector of society.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can query the antiquities office at the Vatican and get tickets to the limited tour underneath St. Peter, do it!

When the basilica was being built they leveled off the top of a hill that had a cemetary on it. They threw the earth to cover the tombs and created an underground necropolis. The tour takes you through climate controlled areas to view the old tombs and end up at what the Vatican believes is the tomb of Peter.

On the uncovered tombs you can see the old "pagan" symbols, some are Christian, but a few hedged their bets by having symbols from both. It's very impressive and very interesting if you get a good guide (and why would the Vatican have a bad one?). Since it is limited in number, you'll have to make sure to try and reserve a spot well in advance of your visit.

Cheers.