UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How To Get That Perfect Shave

Viggen

Ever since prehistoric man first scraped a seashell across his cheek so prehistoric woman would let him dance cheek-to-cheek, shaving has been a part of the male experience. But even with today's high-tech razors, lots of men still get nicks, cuts, and razor burn. Today's Tech Editor Corey Greenberg is here with the latest trend in male grooming that promises a better shave by going back to the old school.

...proper shaving has become a lost art. Shaving is one of those glorious male traditions that used to be passed down from father to son, but somewhere along the line, when shaving became more about cheap, disposable razors than a nice, precision-made metal tool in your hand, it became a brainless routine to rush through in the morning without even thinking about it. A dull disposable razor dragged across a layer of foam or gel on your cheeks is a step backward from the past, not an improvement.

A must read for every man (and woman too)

I've used mug and brush for over half of my adult life (stopped in college and took a few years after to get the tools back), and it does connect me with my Dad like the article suggests. In fact I used his old brush for a while after he died but it was already about 25 years old when I got it.

I use the cakes that you can still find at some independant stores. Just wet, swirl, lather and swipe. I use my wife's facial moisturizer at the end and then splash some blue or green shaving lotion for an old school smell.

It IS one of life's little pleasures to be shaved by a good barber complete with wet towel wrap beforehand. -_-

Oddly enough, I just got a present of a new brush, mug and soap to replace my 'Old Spice' equipment. The soap and brush are much better than that other stuff. I still have my father's straight edge, stone and strop. Never tried it. Some have suggested that I use it in more - shall I say - daring way.

Pantagathus, before you plunk down $30 for that one, I am sure that you can get a later, less expensive double edge Gillete holder.

It IS one of life's little pleasures to be shaved by a good barber complete with wet towel wrap beforehand.

I totally agree!

My ultimate holiday indulgence is to:

take the ferry to Capri from Sorrento, the funicular from the harbour to the Piazetta, to walk five minutes toward the Vila Jovis from the piazetta, to the shop of Signor Bruno Valestra -thence to be smothered in hot towels and regaled with a stream- of- consciousness rant as to why Gianfranco Zola and Diego Maradonna were the saviours of Neapolitan football.

I use a "Cyril Salter" badger bristle brush and shaving cream from Napoli.I am smooooooth!

It IS one of life's little pleasures to be shaved by a good barber complete with wet towel wrap beforehand.

I totally agree!

My ultimate holiday indulgence is to:

take the ferry to Capri from Sorrento, the funicular from the harbour to the Piazetta, to walk five minutes toward the Vila Jovis from the piazetta, to the shop of Signor Bruno Valestra -thence to be smothered in hot towels and regaled with a stream- of- consciousness rant as to why Gianfranco Zola and Diego Maradonna were the saviours of Neapolitan football.

I use a "Cyril Salter" badger bristle brush and shaving cream from Napoli.I am smooooooth!

I have been saying that all along; Neapolitans are excellent people. Barbers , singers, cooks, etc. :lol: