UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

CPQA

Guest Gunner

Guest Gunner

I have been tasked with a research that includes solving the Latin abbreviation CPQA, and I do not have the reference material where I am. I am told that it is almost directly related to SPQR. Thanks for the help.

Guest Gunner
I think that it has something to do with a 'colony' of Rome. In my very bad Latin: Colonia Populusque Aquilea (or any other colony).

Thanks, but I am told that the C is directly related to the S in SPQR and the A is directly related to the R. I am still searching. Thank you for your help. Gunner

I think that it has something to do with a 'colony' of Rome. In my very bad Latin: Colonia Populusque Aquilea (or any other colony).

Thanks, but I am told that the C is directly related to the S in SPQR and the A is directly related to the R. I am still searching. Thank you for your help. Gunner

At first thought it might be a reference to the renaming episode of Commodus... but Colonia Lucia Annia Commodiana doesn't work either. Commodus also temporarily altered the way the acronym was referred to...

Populus Senatusque Romanus rather than Senatus Populesque Romanus, but clearly this doesn't fit either.

Otherwise if its not in reference to a colony, I'm completely at a loss. Where did you hear of this? Is it an ancient inscription of some sort?

I am told that the C is directly related to the S in SPQR and the A is directly related to the R.

If that is the case, then here are some off-the-wall suggestions:

C= Curia (which I think could be used to mean the Senate as a body, but those more latinate than I will correct me if I am wrong). Isn't it used in that sense for the Papal Curia (ie the Pope's advisory council) today?

A = Hadrian, in building the Temple of Venus and Rome played on a latin pun - ROMA et AMOR (ie love/Venus). If the A equates to the R could the whole CPQA thing be a Hadrianic joke?

But I still like the CPQA = Colonia Populusque Aquilea idea.

In that Colonia would equate to Senate (if colonia is taken to stand for the town council) and the name of the town (so long as it began with "A") would equate exactly to Rome, the city.

But basically I have no idea what I am talking about!! B)

Phil

I hope that I am not misleading you, but I have a recollection of seeing a variation of SPQR on a giant boulder at the entrance to Herculaneum. There was a further inscription under it which indicated that Herculaneum was a colony of Rome.

On a map of a town in Sicily, I have a vague recollection of seeing another variation with five letters. Again, indicating that it was a colony of Rome. Herculaneum also may have had five letters.

The name Cologne, the city in Germany, is from the latin 'colonia'(?). I think that Germanicus' wife founded the city, but I don't remember her name. Thus it was: Colonia A______a, etc. There may be some words before the 'colonia', again on the same theme as SPQR.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Agrippina the elder was germanicus' wife - they lived near Colonge during the mutinies at Tiberius' accession.

What a scholar!! B)

I meant you, GO - knowing the first and last letters of someone's name!! :D

I often wish my memory allowed me to get so close!

Phil :D