UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Which Way Do You Point Your Thumb?

Andrew Dalby

I think the final outcome for the defeated gladiator (death or life) depended on how well the fight was fought and whether it was a spirited fight, without any display of cowardice by the one vanquished.

Gladiators were valuable to their owners, who invested a lot of time and money in them and if they fought well in the arena but were yet defeated, I think it would be highly unlikely that they would be killed, unless the wounds were so debilitating that a death by way of mercy killing would be the most appropriate.

The editore (during the Republic, later the Emperor) was the only one who decided his fate, although Hollywood likes to think it was the crowd, showing a dramatic thumbs up or down.

The gladiator was often granted missio, which meant that he would be allowed to live and possibly fight again in all but the most extreme of cases, for cowardice or for a very poor showing in the arena - no skills or talent displayed. In that case, the gladiator would be worthless to the owner and he would not be angry at the editore for not granting missio.

As in everything, economic considerations played a large part in their decision, particularly the future worth of the defeated gladiator. Most of my observations are with reference to the Republic. In later periods, it may have been well different as many of the Emperors were quite blood thirsty and possibly killed off many a good fighter.

yes I agree by and large, but I would point out that gladiatorial combat became bloodier as time went on because the crowd (and the games promoters) wanted thrills and excitment. Throwing somebody to the lions? Oh they did that last year - yawn.

Gladiators were indeed highly skilled fighters (at least those with any survival chances were) and it wasn't cheap to buy, train, and keep them. It is true that the crowd wanted a good fight. The poet Martial wrote a tale based on fact about a fight at the colosseum where both men were allowed the victory palm for delivering the thrills. As for poor fighting, that didn't always condemn a man despite the crowds disappointment. It was just as likely to cause a huge reverse to the career of the games promoter. The mood of a crowd often dictated a mans fate. A crowd galvanised by excitment wanted blood - and usually got it. A bored audience would cough and jeer, muttering about what a plonker the promoter was for putting together such a poor show.

In fact, emperors often gave gladiators their freedom to please the crowd and this had no bearing on the owners investment. It was seen as the sign of a generous humane emperor who rewarded courage. The owner of course gritted his teeth and told the trainer to get Ursus The Angry up to scratch by the next games or else :)

This is a useful shot, this gives an idea of the scale of Late Republican Gladiatorial combat- a very "initimate " setting unlike the later "grand theatre" of the Colosseum (and Hollywood).Also I know LW likes anything gladiatorial! Best, I suppose, to realise that Gladiatorial combat "style" evolved over a protracted period.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=964

This is a useful shot, this gives an idea of the scale of Late Republican Gladiatorial combat- a very "initimate " setting unlike the later "grand theatre" of the Colosseum (and Hollywood).Also I know LW likes anything gladiatorial! Best, I suppose, to realise that Gladiatorial combat "style" evolved over a protracted period.

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=964

Its often forgotten that most gladiatorial fights were small scale, not the huge spectacle they put on for nearly a third of a year at the colosseum (sorry, Flavian Amphitheater :angry: ). Provincial contests were less bloody apart from executions, and perhaps one or two deaths would end the performance. Whereas large numbers of animals would be seen at Rome, perhaps only a well-renowned ferocious bear would satisfy the men at the fort.

The variety of of fights would be less in the provinces too. Less theatrical and more likely just a straight fight between two men.

Also, there were private contests where wealthy people would entertain party-goers with a fight in the garden or whatever.