UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Siege Of Mytilene 80bc

Guest REMF

Can anyone tell me anything about the siege of Mytilene in which Caesar was given an award for bravery. I am interested in details of the battle - whether all the fighting was on land or not.

I appreciate that the information may not even exist - alas my resources are limited to the internet and local libraries.

Any information would be very gratefully received.

p.s I appreciate that this maybe outside the scope of this forum. But thought it was worth a go.

If anyone can point ome to a more appropriate forum, that would be great.

Edited by REMF

Suetonius simply says this:

He served his first campaign in Asia on the personal staff of Marcus Thermus, governor of the province. Being sent by Thermus to Bithynia, to fetch a fleet, he dawdled so long at the court of Nicomedes that he was suspected of improper relations with the king; and he lent colour to this scandal by going back to Bithynia a few days after his return, with the alleged purpose of collecting a debt for a freedman, one of his dependents. During the rest of the campaign he enjoyed a better reputation, and at the storming of Mytilene Thermus awarded him the civic crown.

Plutarch didn't even bother to mention it (though many believe there may be a missing paragraph or two.)

Dio Cassius' account of this time period is unfortunately fragmentary and this particular incident is lost.

I don't recall Appian mentioning it in 'The Civil Wars'. (whose work is brilliant and often under the radar IMO)

Caesar doesn't mention it himself.

I don't recall Cicero mentioning it either.

p.s I appreciate that this maybe outside the scope of this forum. But thought it was worth a go.

If anyone can point ome to a more appropriate forum, that would be great.

Hmm sounds like a challange to me! :D

Indeed, I'm not sure where such a discussion might be more appropriate, but one never knows I suppose ;)