UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Maya Civilization Collapsed Upon Learning Kings Weren't Gods

The decline of the Maya civilization began some 1,100 year ago when millions of Indians working on the contruction of tall pyramidal temples and palaces learned that their kings weren't gods, Spanish anthropologist Andres Ciudad told EFE.

The collapse of this culture with its brilliant mathematicians, astronomers and engineers, came when monarchs stopped being immortal in the eyes of their subjects, said Ciudad, who is deputy dean of the Faculty of Geography and History at Madrid's Universidad Complutense...

full article at MercoPress

How odd - did they wake up one day and think, "Oh I've been wrong all this time!!"?

I'd also like to add a consideration of this:

The study, which weakens theories that attribute the death of this civilization to tribal warfare or prolonged drought

How in blue blazes is the new theory mutualy exclusive with warfare & drought. Are those not things that if not going well could make you loose faith in your Gods & their representative: the King???

Edited by Pantagathus

An interesting article. I had read in one book a while ago that the Mayan civilisation had collapsed centuries later towards the 16th century and the coming of the Spanish Conquistadores. Although the mayans had no unified government they did still retain their language and culture and their lack of unity was actually what protected them from being annihilated by the Spanish as there was no central figure or city for them to attack like they had with the Aztecs (Emperor Montezuma and the city of Tenochtitlan). the Mayan culture still exists to today.

I wonder if Mel Gibson's new Maya movie, Apocalypto, will make any mention of this 'No God' theory seeing as it centers on the fall of the Mayan empire.