UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman Obsession With Medusa (or Gorgons In General)

DecimusCaesar

I've been looking through a lot of books recently and I've began to notice that Medusa or the gorgon (from Greek mythology) are constantly portrayed, whether it is on the front of the armour of the Roman Emperors or generals, on mosaic floors from Britain to Egypt or on the walls of Pompeii. I even open the DVD boxset to HBO's Rome and there is a picture of Medusa inside.

I've began to wonder why it is that the Gorgon is portrayed so frequently in Roman art compared to other Mythological creatures and what significance does it have. I've also noticed that Alexander the Great had a medusa on his cuirass (from the Issus mosaic). Are the Romans imitating Alexander or does the Gorgon/Medusa motif exist for another reason?

Does anyone know of any other frequent depictions of mythological creatures in Roman art?

(Note: I'm not sure if this thread is in the appropriate forum, if the modertators believe it should be moved to a more appropriate forum like the Religious forum then I think it should be moved).

I've found quite an informative site on Medusa

Medusa

hope it helps

GPM your link is not functioning!

I dont know why??? the address is correct i've double checked

leave it with me

I've been looking through a lot of books recently and I've began to notice that Medusa or the gorgon (from Greek mythology) are constantly portrayed, whether it is on the front of the armour of the Roman Emperors or generals, on mosaic floors from Britain to Egypt or on the walls of Pompeii. I even open the DVD boxset to HBO's Rome and there is a picture of Medusa inside.

I've began to wonder why it is that the Gorgon is portrayed so frequently in Roman art compared to other Mythological creatures and what significance does it have. I've also noticed that Alexander the Great had a medusa on his cuirass (from the Issus mosaic). Are the Romans imitating Alexander or does the Gorgon/Medusa motif exist for another reason?

Does anyone know of any other frequent depictions of mythological creatures in Roman art?

(Note: I'm not sure if this thread is in the appropriate forum, if the modertators believe it should be moved to a more appropriate forum like the Religious forum then I think it should be moved).

I would have thought this was simply down to the greek influence on roman culture. Medieval europe concentrated on dragons and sea serpents as its nemesis I think. These days we have a strange fascination for vampires and werewolves.

Personally, being a bit obsessed with Medusa myself, I can say that it may be because the image represents a powerful protection figure. The idea that her fearsome image will turn you to stone just for looking upon her makes using the head of Medusa a wonderful decoration for armor and homes, things you want to keep safe. Seems pretty simple to me.

Yep. It was the ancient equivalent of a protection amulet, designed to ward off evil spirits and the like.

Remember the myth of how Minerva (Athena) put a gorgon on her shield to make herself all the more of a terrifying warrior? What is good for a goddess is good for the common people.

thanks for the answers everyone! It makes sense that Generals did this for protection, so if they did it then the richer citizens who lived in villas probably painted the Medusa image on their walls as a way to protect their domus from evil spirits or from crooks. The Medusa as a protection amulet makes a lot of sense and it makes it similar to the evil eye amulet (to ward off jealousy and greed) which was also very popular in Roman and Byzantine eras.

On closer inspection of some of the busts of the Emperors i've noticed that what I originally thought was a depiction of Medusa on the armour (in the case of Pertinax, although other emperors have Medusa) is actually a man with long curly hair...from afar it looks like a gorgon. The man also has wings extending from his head and a cord tied under his chin. Could this be a depiction of Alexander or is it something from Mythology?

thanks for the answers everyone! It makes sense that Generals did this for protection, so if they did it then the richer citizens who lived in villas probably painted the Medusa image on their walls as a way to protect their domus from evil spirits or from crooks. The Medusa as a protection amulet makes a lot of sense and it makes it similar to the evil eye amulet (to ward off jealousy and greed) which was also very popular in Roman and Byzantine eras.

On closer inspection of some of the busts of the Emperors i've noticed that what I originally thought was a depiction of Medusa on the armour (in the case of Pertinax, although other emperors have Medusa) is actually a man with long curly hair...from afar it looks like a gorgon. The man also has wings extending from his head and a cord tied under his chin. Could this be a depiction of Alexander or is it something from Mythology?

What you describe is definitely Medusa. She is sometimes depicted with wings from her head, the Gorgons were actually supposed to have wings from their backs (as in Greek pottery) but since the head became the depiction of choice, the wings moved from the back to the sides of the head. But the rope is actually a pair of snakes tied under her chin and the telltale artistic/decorative rendering to let you know that it is Medusa. Sometimes she has hair with only the snakes under her chin, again it's a stylistic thing. The famous Versace emblem, which is taken from a modern depiction of medusa, is the same as you describe. I would be very interested to see a picture of the armor you are looking at?

Edited by Violentilla

Unfortunately I cannot find the image on the internet seeing as I saw the picture in the book 'Chronicle of the Roman Emperors' by Chris Scarre. The picture is of a bust of the Emperor Pertinax in his armour and just like you pointed out it has a engraving of Medusa on it. I had no idea that Medusa was portrayed in this more human form with a head of hair instead of snakes. Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately I cannot find the image on the internet seeing as I saw the picture in the book 'Chronicle of the Roman Emperors' by Chris Scarre. The picture is of a bust of the Emperor Pertinax in his armour and just like you pointed out it has a engraving of Medusa on it. I had no idea that Medusa was portrayed in this more human form with a head of hair instead of snakes. Thanks for the info.

This one?

pertinax1.jpg

Quite lovely. I am working on a tattoo of her, this is a nice one. If you get a closer scan, let me know.

Edited by Violentilla

Yes that's the one!

I've also realised that Medusa was a popular motif among Greek Hoplites seeing as most illustrations of Hoplites seem to show at least one Hoplite with a variation on the Gorgon's head. A tatoo of her would be great.

If they are the early depictions I'm thinking they might be (military history is not my thing) they might be the archaic images of Medusa, which are really cool too. In early Greek depictions she is wild eyed, tongue out and with fangs. Sometimes she has no snakes at all, just curled bangs.

Yes it's the archaic Medusa on the Hoplite shields dating to around the 5th Century BC, How did the image develop from this to the one that existed in Roman times? I always believed that Medusa had snakes on her head instead of hair and its only know that I realise that the bangles on the Hoplite shields were not snakes.

Does anyone know if the Romans made depictions of mythological creatures on their scutum during the early republican era? ( I have seen various paintings of Triarii and Hastatii with wolves and other animals on their shields.)

Edited by DecimusCaesar

Yes it's the archaic Medusa on the Hoplite shields dating to around the 5th Century BC, How did the image develop from this to the one that existed in Roman times? I always believed that Medusa had snakes on her head instead of hair and its only know that I realise that the bangles on the Hoplite shields were not snakes.

Does anyone know if the Romans made depictions of mythological creatures on their scutum during the early republican era? ( I have seen various paintings of Triarii and Hastatii with wolves and other animals on their shields.)

I can only guess at that and say that it may have been for artistic reasons. On early Greek and Apulian pottery Medusa had the tongue and fangs, and then later evolves into something more pleasing to look at. Perhaps public opinion changed of her, from a fearsome image to a protective one. Or it may be that when the idea of a Greek ideal of beauty took hold, that idealism won out over tradition.