UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Etruscan Culture

miguel

Oh yes. I remember from the exhibition, the origin of their language is Greek, and its words are formed from alphabets.

Etruscan derived from Greek???? I think not! Etruscan, as it was noted earlier, is not an Indo-European language; that much is known for sure. As of now, it's a linguistic isolet, meaning that it is not related to any other known language.

Exactly, which is one of the major reasons why it is so difficult to pin down the origins of the Etruscans. Languages provide invaluable information about the development of cultures.

thier language is very interesting. It disappeared, but some words survived in Latin and Italian...

I bet Etruscan was used by the Romans a lot with their religious ceremonies, particularly by the augurs. I think that augurs are the Latin version of the Etruscan haruspices, and young Roman aristocrats who were destined for priesthoods would study in Caere. Emperor Claudius wrote a book on the Etruscan language, if only it survived, it would probably totally change everything we know about this people!

If you have not already, be sure to check our Ursus' excellent post on the Etruscans.

• 1 month later...

Thats about all most people know - much of the information about them has been lost. Including claudius's history of the estruscans I think.

They also provided the origin of roman funeral rites / gladiatorial combat. We know they sometimes set a man with a sack over his head against an angry dog. Roman urban planning also has its roots in etruscan culture.