UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Troy = Tyre?

). In /Rediscovering Homer/ I use this as one example of many to show how the legends resulting in the Iliad must have come out of various historical events at different periods.

Interestingly I have come across the same ideas, for instance that Ajax was a warrior from a different period because the descriptions of his armour do not correspond with the archaeological discoveries from around the era of the Trojan war (c.1200 BC).

He carries a large shield covered in leather, which according to some Bronze age historians puts him at an earlier age to the Trojan war as less emphasis was put on large shields by the Myceneans at that period as improved bronze armour was being constructed. Were there bronze helmets being used at this time or were the 'boar-tusk' helmets still in circulation?

• 3 weeks later...
I believe Tyre is where Alexander the Great tried and successfully besieged and plundered the port city, in which all the survivors were burned/killed because they all were seeking refuge in a temple(?/name).

As for Troy, oh it does exist, some German rich guy found it, but it turns out that the city was really much smaller than exagerrated in the story. Oh, it was found in Asia Minor. My teacher says the population most likely was at least 3,000 inhabitants. Oh those Greeks sure love hyperboles of Troia.

If you search online, you will most likely find sources and info.

I have just finished reading Alexander The Great The In visible Enemy by John Maxwell O'Brien and according to him Alexander wished to worship azt the Temple of Heracles. However Tyre weished to remain neutral. When Alexander Persisted by sending Ambassodors. The Tyrian responded by flinging Alexanders ambassadors from the battlements. Alexander was enraged a siege insued.

In regards to Troy the site was excavated by Henerich Schliemen (think that is hoe it is spelt). Their are several cities on the same site. Priams Treasures found by Schlimen however it is contrevercial as some people think the treasure found is form a later city on the same site!!

Aegyptus

The so-called Treasure of Helen is controversial for several reasons. It is not clear whether Schliemann found the treasure as or when he claimed (I think he said his wife was present when she was not).

It certainly dates from a period EARLIER (around layers or levels 1 or 2) than that now normally ascribed to "Homeric" Troy (layers 6 or 7). It thus came from lower down within the mound or "tell" created by the successive levels of habitation. The treasure might just have been deposited from above as a BURIAL by later inhabitants, but I think stylistically this is considered not to be so likely.

Phil