UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Hadrian's Wall

Pertinax

I have reviewed this title especially for the newly rebuilt "Hadrian's Wall Information " site of the worthy Augustus , who is a member of our Forum. His site has re-appeared in Britain after various tribulations , and is under course of re-construction:-

http://hadrians-wall.info/hadrianswall/segedunum/index.htm

I place a version of the review here, and hope some members will visit his re-established site

I was recommended this title by Augustus as the definitive work on Hadrian

I have known and loved this book since it's first publication, and have owned each p/back revision.

It is one of the core works on ancient rome which, along with Syme's Roman Revolution, I would never be without.

I first visted the Wall when I was 14, in the mid-60s, and longed to see Housesteads which Alan Sorrell had depicted in story drama. I was not disappointed, and that, with Chesters, Corbridge and latterly Vindolanda and South Shields are among my favorite places on earth. I love the valley of the River North Tyne, the view from the north rampart of Houseteads across the rugged windswept moors; the walk from their to Vindolanda.... I wish i was there right at this moment.

Going there made me love the place: this book allowed me to understand it to some extent.

I was lucky enough to hear Eric Birley (father of two sons, one the excavator of Vindolana, and the other the author of imperial biographies) again when I was in my teens. He talked of the Wall and made me replace my simplistic notions with more compex ideas of not a barrier to keep people out, but perhaps to keep them IN - to think of military zones and customs barriers and control.

This book allowed me to build on that, and to carry in my pocket when i visited that blessed plot, a library in a single pocket-sized volume.

But it, wallow in it, devour it. It is a classic.

Phil

An excellent review Pertinax and after reading what Phil has to say aswell it appears that it would be an absolute crime not to possess this book, so i suppose i'll have to put my hand in my pocket and splash the cash :rolleyes:

Thank you Gentlemen, how I have managed to overlook this gem of a book till now is beyond me. It wont be straying far from my desk from now on.Thanks to Augustus for remedying this gross omission.

Phil-you mean this view? Makes the heart sing does it not?

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...=si&img=436

Great review Pertinax! I have a few books on Hadrian's wall but these are very short, basic stuff. If this is a must have then I better start saving up for it now. It sounds like a real classic.

Its excellent value in paperback, and thank you DC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hadrians-Wall-Peng...TF8&s=books

I was actually thinking of what one would see if you turned 90 degrees to the left.

your pic is looking back to Housesteads (behind the copse) from Cuddy's Crag, I think. but the photo is excellent and absolutely captures the way I think about the middle section of the Wall.

Thank you for such a superb reminder.

Phil

Great review Pertinax! I have a few books on Hadrian's wall but these are very short, basic stuff. If this is a must have then I better start saving up for it now. It sounds like a real classic.

Its excellent value in paperback, and thank you DC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hadrians-Wall-Peng...TF8&s=books

I've just purchased this book from Amazon, but it's a different edition than the one pictured, it's from the 70's and the front cover is a picture of the wall in winter, all covered in snow, it's really is a beautiful shot of the wall and it cost me the princely sum of 99p plus p+p :rolleyes: , the book is in very good condition, the pages are slightly browned with age but i think this just makes the book even more special.

i'm a third of the way through it and i must say that it really is a fantastic piece of work :(

Edited by Gaius Paulinus Maximus

There have been several editions of the work, but for 99p you cant go wrong! Your post made me nostalgic for the Wall again ,(and I was only there two weeks ago) so I added this shot to the gallery:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?act=mo...si&img=1433

I still have that "winter" picture edition, GPM, as well as a more recent edition.

Phil