UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Latin.

Gaius Octavius

Latin is alive and well in Finland. So is Elvis Presley. He is singing in Latin there. The Finns are reporting the news in Latin on the radio. Big slug of their population speaks Latin. Compliments of the BBC.

Won't be long before the Vatican sets up headquarters there.

:D

Aren't there still a few villages scattered in northern Italy, near the alps I think, that still speak Latin as a first language?

Close, but no cigar. There is a Rhaeto-Romance dialect/language named Ladin, which is spoken in the Italian Alps; more can be found here

This should not be confused with the Judeo-Spanish which is spoken by the peoples whose ancestors were booted out of Spain in the late 15th and early 16th century by the Catholic Royals; they call their language Lad

Latin is alive and well in Finland. So is Elvis Presley. He is singing in Latin there. The Finns are reporting the news in Latin on the radio. Big slug of their population speaks Latin. Compliments of the BBC.

Won't be long before the Vatican sets up headquarters there.

:D

And not just in Finland, but also in cyberspace. Keep on reading the Latin Vicipaedia because it's growing all the time. Mind you, it needs editors as well as readers -- the Latin isn't always perfect. I added

Petronius yesterday. Did I get anything wrong?

Edited by Andrew Dalby

And not just in Finland, but also in cyberspace. Keep on reading the Latin Vicipaedia because it's growing all the time. Mind you, it needs editors as well as readers -- the Latin isn't always perfect. I added

Yup, A.D., you imply that I know something, anything, about Latin! :lol::lol::lol: Barely speak English! :(

<_<

Yup, A.D., you imply that I know something, anything, about Latin! :lol::lol::lol: Barely speak English! :(

<_<

I suspect, GO, that you are being modest (British fashion) about your Latin. As for your English: on evidence available to me, a pure and classic dialect of our mother tongue is spoken in Brookfordshiresexingham ...