UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Propaganda in the Roman Empire

Actually I don't see this as entirely propaganda. Some of it would have been naturally given roman ambition, but the poor? No, they weren't thinking in terms of thousands of years but the next generation or two. They wanted to remember their loved ones.

As for the politically motivated roman, its a different matter. They had a vested interest in marketing themselves.

Considering the great importance that Romans placed on their public image, one might be surprised that the noble families who bore cognomina didn't make more of an effort to change their cognomina (other than through the act of adoption).

In a discussion on Roman names I had on another message board, I had remarked on how many of those cognomina amount to hilariously pejorative nicknames: Brutus ("dimwit"), Calvus ("baldy"), Cicero ("chickpea"), Strabo ("squint-eyed").

Since a "good name" to the ancient Romans obviously was counted more by deeds than by any flattering words constituting that name, perhaps many of those ridiculous cognomina retained by certain Romans might have served as an example of proud (and clever) anti-propaganda.

By "anti-propaganda", I mean a flaunting of one's disdain for superficial self-flattery, in retaining such names -- with the effect that others, impressed, might ultimately wind up praising one for such a lack of concern over the name one goes by.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

Can a work of propaganda also be a world classic? What do people think about Virgil's Aeneid?

Can a work of propaganda also be a world classic? What do people think about Virgil's Aeneid?

Bingo! I appreciate it on both levels: a literary classic and an ode to Augustus.

In the libri section, one of the new books out this month deals with Propaganda in Augustan Rome. Might be of interest to some of you.

Bingo! I appreciate it on both levels: a literary classic and an ode to Augustus.

In the libri section, one of the new books out this month deals with Propaganda in Augustan Rome. Might be of interest to some of you.

Thank you. Yes, I view the work in the same way. And thanks for the "heads up" about the book!

Edited by Ludovicus

Here is an interesting Wikipaedia article on the use of propaganda by Gallienus, and how it was used against him:

Gallienus's chief method of reinforcing his position is seen in the coinage produced during his reign. The coins, especially those which full name-check the gods, provide clear evidence of a successful propaganda campaign in a time previous to television or newspapers. Quite a few of the Roman mints' issue had images of soldiers and the legend FIDES MILITVM ("loyalty of the soldiers") as well, despite the constant usurper problems. Gallienus took pains to make sure that he was regularly represented as victorious, merciful, and pious. The peasants and merchants who used these coins on a daily basis saw these messages and, with little evidence to the contrary, remained supportive of their Emperor. Word of mouth, one hoped (and Rome's rumor mill was second to none in the ancient world), did the rest.

There were, however, those who knew better. Propaganda worked both ways; several comedians ambled through the triumphal procession in Rome that Gallienus staged in 263 to commemorate his decennalia (tenth anniversary on the throne). When asked what they were doing, they answered that they were searching for the Emperor's father. As if anticipating this, Gallienus had had a number of men dressed in Persian costumes to resemble prisoners of war.

Perhaps this Roman example of 'spin' enabled Gallienus to last so long at a time when to be Emperor was a deferred death sentence.

• 4 weeks later...

Propaganda certainly wasn't invented by the Romans. Religion itself has propagandistic elements all the way back to the dawn of civilization, and of course, these early civilizations left propaganda devices that still function to impress the credulous with notions of otherworldly power (pyramids etc).