UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Metamorphoses of Ovid. Best Translation

Divi Filius

Unfortunately it seems that Fangles has never released a translation of Metamorphoses. I was looking around for the best translation and so far I have been directed towards Allen Mandelbaum.

What would you guys recommend as the best translation?

My comment is a negative one -- sorry not to be more helpful -- I read the old Penguin prose translation by Mary Innes and found it useful but unexciting. I don't know if it's the same one that Penguin still publish: if so, I would avoid it.

Like Andrew, I think I must have read the Penguin translation myself (so many years ago). I do recall that it was eminently forgettable and uninspiring and that's probably the reason I never searched around for a better translation.

I do have the translations of both the "The Odyssey" and the "Iliad" by Robert Fagles and what a difference it is when compared to the other translations. I do hope that he does translate this one too like Virgil's "Aeneid", which is on my "to read" list.