UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Archaeology Degree

Aurelius

Ave!

I am a recent high school graduate embarking upon an BA degree, majors in Classical archaeology and Prehistoric & Historical archaeology, this coming March in the University of Sydney :clapping: . Though I have been eyeing this degree programme for quite a time now, the sudden realisation of this prospect (let alone my parents' suprising approval of the matter) has left me dumbfounded and a bit confused as to the choice of subjects that I could take in this particular course :clapping: .

This dilemma has led me to discuss the matter with the experts here in UNRV, as to what course of action would be appropriate and profitable in the long run, and open to many employment prospects in the field of archaeology and whatnot. Specifically, i would want a program of study in archaeology, wherein a more practical and scientific based approach could be acquired rather than a arts or language-centred approach.

Could you suggest any areas of study which could complement this scientific approach to archaeology? Also, should I acquire the mastery of a european language (e.g. French, German, modern greek) and/or an ancient language (e.g Latin, Ancient Greek) if i desire to continue my studies beyond post-graduate level?

Lastly, could you be so kind as to introduce me to what you think are the top universities in the field of archaeological practice or research, specifically in the USA or UK. Though I have been researching quite abit on this matter for a long time now, in preparation for postgraduate study, I would like to receive your highly-regarded opinion on this topic.

Once again, thanks for your opinion and your time,

Aurelius

If you want a job beyond flippin burger you will need that Masters and probably P.h.D. as well. To get accepted into most Grad positions you will need German, French, Latin, and maybe Classical Greek as well.

As far as the scientific aproach goes, look at duel majoring in Anthropology and History. Maybe go for an Anth major and a History minor.

Maybe someone with more experience than me (Cato or Docolove probably) can help you more.

Well I myself am in the last year of my Classical History Masters from what I see here in Brussels I'd tell you to look at some scientific specializations like geology, petrology, botanic, or something like that in order to make you competent in some rather rare specialization, which should open many field excavation teams. For example archeology with geology or petrology could make you an expert in ceramics, especially the microscopic study of the ceramics and the studies linked with it ( origin of the clay, cooking techniques, ... ). A specialization such as the one here described is not very common and the only program I know of for P.h.D. or post P.h.D. formation in this particular realm is given at Oxford.

Well I myself am in the last year of my Classical History Masters from what I see here in Brussels I'd tell you to look at some scientific specializations like geology, petrology, botanic, or something like that in order to make you competent in some rather rare specialization, which should open many field excavation teams. For example archeology with geology or petrology could make you an expert in ceramics, especially the microscopic study of the ceramics and the studies linked with it ( origin of the clay, cooking techniques, ... ). A specialization such as the one here described is not very common and the only program I know of for P.h.D. or post P.h.D. formation in this particular realm is given at Oxford.

I agree, specialization is the way to go (Paleobotany, archaeozoology, ceramic studies, conservation, DNA studies etc). If you have a knack for 'hard science', try getting some of that into your curriculum (physics, chemistry, physical geography), you'll beat the competition easily. If it's classical archaeology you're interested in, as opposed to ancient history, forget about ancient Greek and Latin, you won't need them. Italian, German and French is what you need to read 95% of the scientific output, probably in that order if it's Roman archaeology.

Edited by Maladict

Thank you for all your replies and advice. Now that i've thought about it, I've included into my program units from geology and geography. I'm not sure whether i'll do german or french this year, but im convinced i should do at least one language.

I was also planning on including Information systems for my studies, such as GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and others. But I could only study them on either my second or third year of study.

Anyway, thank you for all the advice that you've given me and hopefully I won't be left alone "flipping burgers" in some rundown fastfood chain. :P

Aurelius

Thank you for all your replies and advice. Now that i've thought about it, I've included into my program units from geology and geography. I'm not sure whether i'll do german or french this year, but im convinced i should do at least one language.

I was also planning on including Information systems for my studies, such as GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and others. But I could only study them on either my second or third year of study.

Anyway, thank you for all the advice that you've given me and hopefully I won't be left alone "flipping burgers" in some rundown fastfood chain. :D

Aurelius

Yes of course, GIS, how could I forget? It should be mandatory for students.

Perhaps some elementary grasp of statistical analysis is useful too, it's something most archaeologists try to avoid having to use.