UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

German Film "Downfall"

Primus Pilus

I've not seen the picture. I would just like to comment on some of the commentary.

Hitler was a brave soldier in WWI. He was a front line messenger and won a medal for bravery. He addressed females in the formal German fashion. His government did take Germany out of the Great Depression. He was admired by some of the elites in the USA, the UK and elsewhere. Hitler admired Mussolini who thought him a buffoon. (Mussolini stopped his first attempt to annex Austria.) I feel that Hitler was a child of WWI, the Versailles Treaty, General Ludendorff and the unemployed thug veterans of WWI, the weak Wiemar government, and the short lived communist government of Bavaria.

His culpability in murdering untold millions of innocents by claims of insanity and drug addiction are nothing more than grist for his apologists. He was a perfectly sane and determined devil. When General Eisenhower became aware of the German death camps, he ordered that these be filmed for posterity. The Jews will never allow the world to forget this gargoyle.

At the end of the war, an uncle of mine was detached to guard an S.S. POW camp. All of the guards hated the S.S. types with an indescribable vehemence. They would as easily shoot the vermin as give them air to breathe. They had seen the cowards in action.

It never ceases to amaze me to see the children of the people who fought the Nazis, raise Hitler's odious standard today.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homes and Gardens magazine did a rather effulgent piece on him (or rather, on his "handsome Bavarian chalet"):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/germany/graphic/0,,1075414,00.html

How... charming. I can't wait to see the Homes and Gardens issue featuring Idi Amin's state-of-the-art kitchen. ("Skylights grace a cathedral ceiling in this bright workplace and heart of the home, where guests are welcomed by the tantalizing aroma of leg of man roasting in the oven.")

What a bizarre find, Edgewaters. I'll bet that 1938 issue of H&G goes for big money on eBay.

-- Nephele

There have actually been a lot of documentaries done on Hitler is his "leisurely" mode in his Bavarian retreat. Many of them were also German propaganda video's there to show Hitler's "homely" side. I remember a certain song that was written at the time which was actually quite catchy when I heard it. It was in German. "Hitler's little [something]".

Something that persists to this day, although in a darker way. lol

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed the movie and it was pretty accurate, though i think the fighting in Berlin was more fierce that what was portrayed on the screen. Also he praised the Soviets at one point and said something like the "western allies would lose to the disciplined armies of the east," which i would like to know where they got that quote from because it seems so out of place because he had a deep hatred for all things slavic especially the Russians. All in all a very good movie the actor who played Goebbels was very good, its not easy playing one of the lowest forms of life in history, and the scene of the murder of Goebbels children by Magda Goebbels is very tragic and chilling.