UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Jesus

MPC, there are liars, damned liars and then there are statisticians! Remember the joke that was turned into reeganomics? Statistics depends on the valadity of the data put into the formula of ones choice. Garbage in; garbage out.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the probability of this conjunction occurring due to chance is less than 1/20, it would be accepted by nearly any medical journal in the world.

And none of the leading archaeological journals.

According to the authors, the chance probability is more like 1/600

You realize these statistics are based on guesses, right? There are no accurate figures for the demographics of the region at that time.

If he did, how would you calculate the odds from the data?

Depends on the quality of the data. If it's not sufficient, I wouldn't waste my time.

I have no issue with the calculations per se, just interested what they're based on.

Edited by Maladict

Why don't they just drop the pretense and say that they don't care about archaeology because they have their faith? At least they'd leave archaeology (and statistics) uncorrupted.

They care about archeology as long as it does not conflict with their faith MPC, just as at one time they cared about science as long as it did not coflict with their theology (Galileo ring a bell?)

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to suspend our judgments until we see the programme on the 4th and have a chance to analyse it. I think dismissing it sweepingly without investigating it thoroughly is as foolish as accepting it unconditionally for it's sensation value

Edited by Gladius xx

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to suspend our judgments until we see the programme on the 4th and have a chance to analyse it. I think dismissing it sweepingly without investigating it thoroughly is as foolish as accepting it unconditionally for it's sensation value

I agree wholeheartedly.

I also want to add - even if it is Jesus's sarcophagus they found, it does not logically follow that he was not resurrected. It could very well be that his body was transferred to a different tomb and resurrected from there. I don't really care either way - I don't believe in the resurrection anyway - but I'm just playing devil's advocate and trying to offer possibilities from a Christian point of view. So I don't see a real conflict with theology there. As for the marriage part, well, again I don't see what's so scandalous about a man getting married and begetting children.

Edited by Gladius xx

Well, not log to go before its on TV/Internet. To me it all makes sense anyway...Party leader speaks a bit too freely, causes riots, gets caught by the authorities and is punished. Fair enough. The Party thinks that without their charismatic leader they'll perish so they keep his name alive, they create a few rumours...stories....soon the people are thinking he was more than mortal etc etc. As far as the family tomb in Jerusalem is concerned, he probably made quite a bit of cash out of the odd sermon so he was able to afford a nice tomb for his family...

Long Live the Republic.

Edited by Lucius Sentius Saturninus

Considering that filmmaker Jacobovici is claiming that an ossuary of James (missing from the tomb since 1980) is in the possession of a slippery Israeli antiques dealer named Oded Golan (who was arrested along with his cohorts and charged in an Israeli court not only for running a forgery ring but for forging the name of "James" on that ossuary), inclines me towards skepticism regarding the "Jesus Tomb".

-- Nephele

Edited out comment that might provoke a "slip into the danger of using this thread to discuss the internal veracity of Christianity or any other religion." as per Ursus' admonition.

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

Ave

I just watched the programme. It sure is intriguing stuff, but I still think the evidence is too circumstantial. Until they come up with something more substantial I think I'll still reserve my judgment.

Couldn't resist...

David Letterman quoted from "The Late Show with David Letterman":

"James Cameron thinks that he found the tomb of Jesus Christ. To me, that's very interesting. Who would have guessed that they'd find Jesus before bin Laden?"