UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Question from Season 1

Vorenus before he was made Senator by Caesar was a magistrate. Now was he a plebian aedile? It would make sense because if i recall when he was seeing citizens for complaints someone was saying the foreign element was spilling his jars of piss, and wasn't one of the jobs of a aedile was to make foreign influeneces didn't corrupt Roman citizens? If anyone could clear that up it would be appreciated.

Mi Galari-

I too wondered this. The only I thing I can think of is that he was elected as one of the Vigintisexviri, who were 26 (hence the name) minor magistrates in Rome who served in such roles in minor lawsuits, policing and prisons, minting coins, maintenance of Roads, and law and order in Italy. This was an essential step in the Cursus Honorum. Realizing of course many liberties were taken in the show (and probably in reality during those hectic times), but I think it was unlikely that he would skip Quaestor and be elected as Plebian Aedile. Also, if he were an Aedile, he would have to most likely been admitted to to the Senate when he was elected.

Mi Gai-

I will watch the episode again tonight and take a look. I didn't think the draco was adoped into the 1st century AD (not it means anything in this show!)

In the Episode, Caesar says the position is "magistrate of the lower Aventine."

I was thinking possibly the position was of a vicomagister, but that didn't exist until Augustus. But given the way the show plays with historical liberties, perhaps this is what they had (wrongfully) in mind.

• 2 months later...
In the Episode, Caesar says the position is "magistrate of the lower Aventine."

I was thinking possibly the position was of a vicomagister, but that didn't exist until Augustus. But given the way the show plays with historical liberties, perhaps this is what they had (wrongfully) in mind.

It is a very up to the point question. The term used is magistrate with a local addentum.Districy counsellor in the modern sense. The Roman cursus honorum was a shaky affair in those last years of the Republic since Sulla for example broke himself the rules he had posed about the time-limit one could hold a certain post before advancing to the next. The point is that the show is not intrested in the actual lagal desscription of the status of Vorenus but to the fact that he has entered the world of the civilians in the capacity of the world of the ruling- that is why he wears the clothes of power, the white toga and receives his clients. We do not know whether all Roman magistrates received clients but the show has to show that Vorenus has become a part of Caesar's system of government.Along comes the change in character.