UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Compensation for wounded veterans??

Ok, I have found a little more, but not much. A discharge from service on medical grounds was called a missio causaria. This doesn't imply incapacitated because of wounds or debilitating injury though, it could be because of sickness or disease as well I think.

There are a lot of sources that deal with the other primary form of honorable discharge (at the completion of service), missio honesta and dishonorable missio ignominiosa , whereas in the former you received your grant of land and money upon retirement and in the latter you were lucky to escape with your life but I cannot find anything specific if you received compensation for missio causaria.

I think Caldrail may have been on to something when he mentioned burial clubs. There is reference to an inscription that lends suport to the idea that the roman military clubs did support discharged veterans. If anyone has access to the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum this incsription may yield some futher insight: C.I.L. viii. 2552 foll

Also, there is a publication in JSTOR (which I don't have access to) that may also discuss further the connection between military clubs and discharged veterans Roman Military Clubs and Their Social Functions.

• 3 weeks later...

The decimation in question was very rarely used and apart from the loss of life involved, it causes deep emotional response in those who have to beat their comrades to death.

A general needs the loyalty of his army. Its all very well giving them the most shameful punishment possible but these men must also go into battle for him. Also a general wouldn't normally pay compensation - that was down to charitable payments that a burial club might make if the soldier was a member. Death and injury are an accepted risk of roman service in return for which they can expect pay, perks, donatives, land grants, retirement lump sum, citizenship, and hopefully plenty of booty during a successful campaign.