UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Latifunda in the Provinces

Furt

I am confused by the term Latifunda, and are unsure if they were a more "urban" invention or were found throughout the provinces. I believe they only existed in Italia, in and around Rome herself, but personally think some form of slave farming or industry had to exist in newly conquered provinces. If they did exist in the provinces would their rich politician owners personally run them (ie live on the estate) or would they be run by tenants?

I recall reading that there were rich and large farms in Africa, where the farms were often fortified against indigenous raiders. The size of the farms strongly suggest that they employed slave labor, but one should recall that even rich farmers often worked in the fields beside their slaves (see, e.g., de Agricultura).

Latifundia, usually signaled by rural villa's were found thruout the empire, to a lesser extent in the border areas. After all, the roman empire was an aristocratic empire.