UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Research at Vindolanda?

:lol: Hello everyone. This is my first post. I am preparing to travel to the U.K. to possibly do some archaeological research at Vindolanda. I was originally born in Germany only kilometers away from the Limes, so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I wanted to know if you all think it is worth it to pay to dig at this site? Also, can anyone think of the best place to stay while here? I am walking the entirety of Hadrian's Wall and would like to find good, comfortable accomodations.

:) Hello everyone. This is my first post. I am preparing to travel to the U.K. to possibly do some archaeological research at Vindolanda. I was originally born in Germany only kilometers away from the Limes, so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect. I wanted to know if you all think it is worth it to pay to dig at this site? Also, can anyone think of the best place to stay while here? I am walking the entirety of Hadrian's Wall and would like to find good, comfortable accomodations.

Here's a few sites that might help you out on your walk.

http://www.hadrianswallcountry.org/default.asp

http://www.macsadventure.com/Walking_holid...CFQVTEAod0F91vQ

http://www.hadrians-wall.org/

Hope they are of use to you, and hope you have a good time, it's a beautiful part of the country up there.

Where to stay? Well this is good if your hungry (and thirsty).

http://www.twicebrewedinn.co.uk/home.html

http://www.bardonmill.ournet.co.uk/tourist%20index.htm

and Bardon Mill is the nearest village .

If you want to know what the site looks like visit my msn blog and scroll down to the "Vindolanda " gallery.My blog here on UNRV has entries also.

ps:if you are in the UK in mid April you are welcome (as all members are) to the UK meet in York,

check this site for good background:

http://hadrians-wall.info/hadrianswall/segedunum/index.htm

Excellent! Do you guys know where to go to see some reenactments in the U.K.? I will be there from June 8-June 30. I cannot leave earlier because I teach. I would however like to see a large scale reenactment if possible. Thank you guys for the tips.

Another question. Is it possible if I bring my sleeping bag to camp beside the wall? I won't disturb anything, but I would like to camp away from the rest of civilization for one night. Just the wall and myself. I have been waiting my whole life to take this journey. My next project is to walk the entirety of the Appian Highway.

I doubt it. I was raised in the hills of Germany. The last time I took my wife their who was my fiance we walked straight from 9 in the morning until 10. Stopping only once for a meal. I eat while I walk. I was born to walk. I climbed a mountain three times once just to get a stocknagel (hiking stick shield). Call me crazy, but it must be the Barbarian in me!

I doubt it. I was raised in the hills of Germany. The last time I took my wife their who was my fiance we walked straight from 9 in the morning until 10. Stopping only once for a meal. I eat while I walk. I was born to walk. I climbed a mountain three times once just to get a stocknagel (hiking stick shield). Call me crazy, but it must be the Barbarian in me!

But that won't save you from getting drowned (and quite possibly run over) by traffic. :(

The first kilometer is quite the disappointment; then it gets better for a 5km stretch; then back to heavy traffic all the way to Terracina. You really don't want to walk there.

Follow the old road through the mountains and you'll have a blast, and pick up the Appia from Capua instead.

Edited by Maladict

Cool. Thank you for the information. I know what you mean about Italian traffic. It can be crazy, and they don't care. What do you know about being robbed on the Appian? I have heard horror stories about people being robbed while walking down the way.

Never heard those stories, though it's probably wise not to wander around after dark.

I've heard there's a seedy part near the airport (Ciampino), but I've never been there myself.

What of Hadrian's Wall have you heard? I am thinking that when I get to the National Forest I may spend the night in the woods. Are there bear or anything in northern England? I won't start a fire or anything. I would just want to see the sun rise from the wall without being in a building with a whole bunch of other people.

What of Hadrian's Wall have you heard? I am thinking that when I get to the National Forest I may spend the night in the woods. Are there bear or anything in northern England? I won't start a fire or anything. I would just want to see the sun rise from the wall without being in a building with a whole bunch of other people.

No bears, I can tell you that. And not many tigers! As for the camping business, others had better answer that question because I'm not much of a camper. Since Hadrian's Wall is a popular, organized kind of route, there are probably rules. Maybe even notice-boards. (See Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat on what to do about notice-boards.)

Like you, I enjoy following ancient routes. Sometimes it's more complicated than it will be with Hadrian's Wall. There are farmers who don't mind and farmers who do ... My grandfather's rule was, if you meet a farmer who says you are on private land, apologise and offer him sixpence. If he accepts the apology (or the sixpence), it's OK. If not, move away very quickly.

I expect prices have risen now.