UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

What happened to AncientLibrary.com?

Nephele

Anybody know? The site has been down for days and I hope this isn't permanent. I miss their online Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology.

-- Nephele

I too have noticed that it is down to much shagrin. I have been using the version at Bill Thayer's Lacus Curtis in the meantime:

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roma...IGRA*/home.html

I actually like Lacus Curtius' version better but sometimes I find reading the Ancient Library version easier. I REALLY miss Smith's biographies and mythology at Ancient Library.

I have found you can still get at some of the stuff through the "cached" pages feature of Google.

In all cases, I do hope it comes back up!

Ancient Library is still down and there doesn't seem to be any sign of life right now.

In the meantime (if not forever), in addition to Lacus Curtius, I have found another source for the Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities and Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology.

The University of Michigan offers both of these works in online archives. They are offered in scanned image, scanned text, and .pdf format. They are also fully indexed for ease of searching.

The only special note is that for Biography and Mythology, the work is in three volumes, so you have to figure out which volume (alphabetically) where the entry might be and search that one specifically for the article.

So, with Lacus Curtius and now this site we should still be able to have full (and continuing) access to Smith's perennial works.

Here are the links:

A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities

A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology - Vol I

A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology - Vol II

A Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology - Vol III

I noticed your Michigan U. link to Smith's in the posting you did when you helped out Schabbes, and I bookmarked it immediately. Many thanks, PNS! :)

-- Nephele

• 2 weeks later...

AncientLibrary.com is back online again. :)

-- Nephele