UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman women in mourning

I was under the impression that Black was the traditional color to wear when mourning the dead but while reading Plutarch's - Roman Questions I came across this......

Question26

Why do women in mourning wear white robes and white head-dresses?

Do they do this, as men say the Magi do, arraying themselves against Hades and the powers of darkness, and making themselves like unto Light and Brightness?

Or is it that, just as they clothe the body of the dead in white, ethey think it proper that the relatives should also wear this colour? They adorn the body thus since they cannot so adorn the soul; and they wish to send forth the soul bright and pure, since it is now set free after having fought the good fight in all its manifold forms. Or are plainness and simplicity most becoming on these occasions? Of the dyed garments, some reflect expense, others over-elaboration; for we may say no less with reference to black than to purple: "These be cheating garments, these be cheating colours." That which is naturally black is dyed not through art, but by nature; and when it is combined with a dark colour, it is overpowered. Only white, therefore, is pure, unmixed, and uncontaminated by dye, nor can it be imitated; wherefore it is most appropriate for the dead at burial. For he who is dead has become something simple, unmixed, and pure, once he has been released from the body, which is indeed to be compared with a stain made by dyeing. In Argos, as Socrates says, persons in mourning wear white garments washed in water.

Any thoughts on this?

Interesting. In Asian countries and faiths they still practice wearing all white during funerals and while at mourning, whereas we're the opposite. I actually prefer all white as a sign of respect, but maybe because wearing all black means nothing to me.

Now I'm curious, when did the practice of wearing all black as a funerary custom begin?