UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

A Roman style concert

Drusus Nero

I once saw Ike and Tina Turner at the Theatre in Arles many years ago. But the venue was the only thing Roman about it!

EDIT: As a working musician, it has often occurred to me that Rock, or Heavy Metal, would be a great musical genre with which to accompany representations of our favourite historical period. Along with classical - or more accurately, Baroque (from which Heavy Metal draws much of its inspiration).

when it comes to music, I personally like - and play Jazz, Rockabilly and country, but accept that these three genre would be useless at augmenting a performance based on anything to do with the Classics. I think a musician such as Steve Vai would compose a terrific score to something like Oedipus, or - indeed - the life and ultimate fate of Caligula.

Edited by Northern Neil

EDIT: As a working musician, it has often occurred to me that Rock, or Heavy Metal, would be a great musical genre with which to accompany representations of our favourite historical period. Along with classical - or more accurately, Baroque (from which Heavy Metal draws much of its inspiration).

Northern Neil, are you familiar with Rondellus? You might want to check out their Sabbatum: A Medieval Tribute to Black Sabbath. You can listen to excerpts from tracks at that Amazon link I gave.

The group plays classic Black Sabbath songs with medieval instruments circa the 14th century, and vocals are in Latin. I've got the CD, and I quite like it.

-- Nephele

• 2 weeks later...

Northern Neil, are you familiar with Rondellus? You might want to check out their Sabbatum: A Medieval Tribute to Black Sabbath. You can listen to excerpts from tracks at that Amazon link I gave.

The group plays classic Black Sabbath songs with medieval instruments circa the 14th century, and vocals are in Latin. I've got the CD, and I quite like it.

-- Nephele

My favourite such spin off group has to be 'Dread Zeppelin', a reggae group with a lead singer who is an Elvis impersonator (called 'Tortelvis'! I think) that do cover versions of all your favourite Led Zep numbers. Stairway to Heaven is brilliant.

Back to the theme:

Motorhead/Thrash metal are German, Led Zep/ My Chemical Romance are Celtic, Genesis/Marillion are Roman, and Duran Duran are *&^%$$

Edited by sonic