UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Augustan Reforms

So could one reason why Augustus was no longer (what seems to me) warmly calling his legionaries Comrades and had instead begun to refer to them by the (what seems to me) somewhat more distant term of Soldiers, be because Augustus, himself, wasn't much of a partnering "comrade" to them on the actual battlefield?

Military history is not my forte either, but this seems a rather astute observation.

Interesting article, Cadrail.

If I might be forgiven some wild speculation in my ignorance of military history (and I'm hoping that you or others might further enlighten, unless Suetonius makes it clearer and I've simply missed this)... Augustus often seemed content to allow Agrippa to do much of the actual fighting for him. So could one reason why Augustus was no longer (what seems to me) warmly calling his legionaries Comrades and had instead begun to refer to them by the (what seems to me) somewhat more distant term of Soldiers, be because Augustus, himself, wasn't much of a partnering "comrade" to them on the actual battlefield?

-- Nephele

No. Augustus was building a 'new order', a rome with subtle differences to the tired republic that made up the foundations. Rome had by tradition a citizens army - men who defended their land against those who would take it. The earlier armies had been organised according to social status, or perhaps more accurately the wealth of the soldier. These men however were 'comrades'. Romans who had come togather to defend their homeland. This tradition, like so many in Rome, was very persistent. Augustus was the first person mentioned in history who referred to his men as soldiers, and thats an important step. He was reaffirming his position as Imperator - and the original meaning of that word is military commander. These men were no longer citizens doing their duty and protecting family and state - they were professional men at arms.