UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Children and Exposure

caldrail

If exposure is rather shameful, and taken for granted, then it is not going to get a lot of mention in the sources - which are a lot more plentiful for the empire than the republic. After all, lack of evidence for something is not the same as saying that something did not happen, especially if there is not a lot of evidence to go around. We know that exposure was practiced by ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Chinese.

Good points.

Therefore, the onus would be on those who would argue that exposure was not practiced. For example any cases of infanticide in the republic where parents were prosecuted for killing their babies by exposing them.

Of course, it's impossible to prove that exposure was NOT practiced in the Republic. So don't you have the onus of proof inverted? Typically, the onus of proof is on he who asserts the positive.

• 2 weeks later...

drat! duplicate post. sorry

Edited by Maty

If exposure is rather shameful, and taken for granted, then it is not going to get a lot of mention in the sources - which are a lot more plentiful for the empire than the republic. After all, lack of evidence for something is not the same as saying that something did not happen, especially if there is not a lot of evidence to go around. We know that exposure was practiced by ancient Greeks, Egyptians and Chinese.

Good points.

Of course, it's impossible to prove that exposure was NOT practiced in the Republic. So don't you have the onus of proof inverted? Typically, the onus of proof is on he who asserts the positive.

Generally, yes. But when we have a situation where a practice is very common - if not universal - then it it is up to those wishing to claim an exception for a particular time or society to make their case. This is why I suggested some means by which this could be done. However, my main reason for returning to this topic was to share a particular paryrus I've just come across in the course of working on something else. It's dated 17 June 1 BC, and is from Egypt (which makes it something of a special case)

Hilarion to Alis his sister, fondest greetings, and to my dear Berous and Apollonarion. Know that we are still even now in Alexandria. Do not worry if I remain in Alexandria when all the others get back. I beg and beseech of you to take care of the little child, and as soon as we receive wages I will send them to you. If-and may all go well!-you have the child, if it is a male, let it live; if it is a female, expose it. You told Aphrodisias, 'Do not forget me.' How can I forget you? So I'm begging you not to worry.

Oxyrhynchus papyrus 744. G

The 29th year of Caesar, Pauni 23.

Thanks for that glimpse into the past, through your translation of that ancient papyrus, Maty!

Only... the date you gave for that letter from Hilarion to Alis of 1 BCE... Surely that wasn't during the time of the Roman Republic, was it?

Professor H. Bennett (whom I quoted previously in this thread) made the case that, while infant exposure was recorded as a common practice in ancient Greece (and referred to in Greek plays adapted by the Romans), it was not a common practice in Rome itself during the time of the Republic.

I'd be interested if you or anyone has since (Bennett's article was written in 1923) found an example to disprove Bennett's statement.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

• 1 month later...
Thanks for that glimpse into the past, through your translation of that ancient papyrus, Maty!

Only... the date you gave for that letter from Hilarion to Alis of 1 BCE... Surely that wasn't during the time of the Roman Republic, was it?

Professor H. Bennett (whom I quoted previously in this thread) made the case that, while infant exposure was recorded as a common practice in ancient Greece (and referred to in Greek plays adapted by the Romans), it was not a common practice in Rome itself during the time of the Republic.

I'd be interested if you or anyone has since (Bennett's article was written in 1923) found an example to disprove Bennett's statement.

-- Nephele

I have some info for you on this one. Firstly the law of Romulus only applies to males and the firstborn female (Dionysius of Halicarnassus ii.15). There was no legal objection to exposing the rest of the female children.

There is at least one reference in literature from the Republican Era that comes to mind. Plautus puts it in as an integral part of "Casina " (Or a Atrategem Defeated). Its in the prologue line 41 where someone observes an infant girl being exposed. It could be argued that Pautus is using Greek Comedy as a model BUT and it is a big BUT Plautus had be talking about something with which his audience was familiar. I think the argument is fairly persuasive, there is a lot in Plautus that has been changed from the Greek model in order to be familiar to a Roman audience. It is logical that the same applies in reverse and that he would have removed things that would have appeared unfamiliar to a Roman audience.

If you have access to it check out P.A. Brunt's Italian Manpower (a more powerful sleeping drug has yet to be written I warn you!) pages 148-154.

Hope that helps

I have some info for you on this one. Firstly the law of Romulus only applies to males and the firstborn female (Dionysius of Halicarnassus ii.15). There was no legal objection to exposing the rest of the female children.

There is at least one reference in literature from the Republican Era that comes to mind. Plautus puts it in as an integral part of "Casina " (Or a Atrategem Defeated). Its in the prologue line 41 where someone observes an infant girl being exposed. It could be argued that Pautus is using Greek Comedy as a model BUT and it is a big BUT Plautus had be talking about something with which his audience was familiar. I think the argument is fairly persuasive, there is a lot in Plautus that has been changed from the Greek model in order to be familiar to a Roman audience. It is logical that the same applies in reverse and that he would have removed things that would have appeared unfamiliar to a Roman audience.

If you have access to it check out P.A. Brunt's Italian Manpower (a more powerful sleeping drug has yet to be written I warn you!) pages 148-154.

Hope that helps

Ah, thanks for those references, Sullafelix! I just checked WorldCat and I see I can get Brunt's Italian Manpower at a local university library. Will check it out!

-- Nephele