UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Flavius Gaudentius

We all know of the famous late Roman General Flavius Aetius. I can't seem to find much on his father Flavius Gaudentius. All I know is that he was of Scythian birth and fought under Theodosius the Great against the usurper Eugenius. Does anyone know anymore on him?

We all know of the famous late Roman General Flavius Aetius. I can't seem to find much on his father Flavius Gaudentius. All I know is that he was of Scythian birth and fought under Theodosius the Great against the usurper Eugenius. Does anyone know anymore on him?

I can't seem to find much on him either, I found this little passage in "History of the Later Roman Empire" by J.B.Bury........

Flavius Aetius was the son of Gaudentius, a native of Lower Moesia, and an Italian mother. The career of his father, who fought with Theodosius the Great against the tyrant Eugenius, had been in the west, and Aetius had been given, in his childhood, as a hostage to Alaric, and some years later had been sent, again as a hostage, to the Huns, among whom he seems to have remained for a considerable time, and formed abiding bonds of friendship with King Rugila. This episode in his life had a considerable effect upon his career.

It's not much is it ? If you manage to come with anything please let us know. ;)

He was a Scythian and he used to be a magister equitum.

I can't find much on him either...

btw was Aetius son (or one of his) named Gaudentius? I see that in Peter Heather's The Fall of the Roman Empire, but there is no further elaboration.

Edited by miguel

• 14 years later...
On 5/15/2007 at 12:30 PM, miguel said:

He was a Scythian and he used to be a magister equitum.

I can't find much on him either...

btw was Aetius son (or one of his) named Gaudentius? I see that in Peter Heather's The Fall of the Roman Empire, but there is no further elaboration.

Late reply, but yes, Aetius named his son Gaudentius in honour of his father :)