UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Internal Condition of Rome - 2nd Century

Segestan

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly detect a trend by wealthy romans to preserve and extend their privilege. It almost seems as if they want to live in a world apart, a place of people of means and therefore similar outlook. In some ways I think this is to be expected. Status was far more important and evident to romans than our modern selves, and glass ceilings much harder, even impossible, to penetrate. However, I think we have to get away from this image of the republic as a place of democratic and benign leadership, because its obvious that self-interest was hard at work. There is a landed class whose authority is based on wealth, and in no uncertain terms they mean to hang on to both power and purse. The republic too was a time of civil unrest. Reformers are assassinated, slaves rebel. Dare I say it, but perhaps Rome survived the same cultural turmoil that brought down the monarchies of Russia, France, etc?