UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Ancient Romans Preferred Fast Food

Just as a U.S. Presidential state dinner does not reflect how most Americans eat and socialize, researchers think the formal, decadent image of wining and dining in ancient Rome mostly just applied to the elite. According to archaeologist Penelope Allison of the University of Leicester, the majority of the population consumed food "on the run."

Allison excavated an entire neighborhood block in Pompeii, a city frozen in time after the eruption of volcano Mount Vesuvius in 79 A.D...

Discovery News

many poorer homes had no facilities to cook, so I guess fast food was a necessity really, and one exploited by traders.

This is often the reason given for many inner-city peoples, and the subsequent health issues are blamed on this in our society. But I'm just guessing that this Roman fast food was just a hair healthier than meal deal #1, supersized.

Though this brings to mind cost: many moons ago, I used to think that, because I was always broke, I couldn't afford as many veggies and fruit. Then I did a cost-analysis, learned how to buy in the right proportion and in the season...suddenly I realized that it's way cheaper to buy veggies and fruit--and not buy so much that it goes to waste!--than to buy mac n cheese and the like. And to be honest, when in Spain the 'authentic' fast food was relatively cheap--like 5 euros--for quite a decent sized portion of food. Bottom line is, do we know how much (roughly) this food was? If you live in a place with meager cooking facilities, if anything, you probably don't have much money to start with...so this 'fast food' couldn't have been very expensive.

many poorer homes had no facilities to cook, so I guess fast food was a necessity really, and one exploited by traders.

This is often the reason given for many inner-city peoples, and the subsequent health issues are blamed on this in our society. But I'm just guessing that this Roman fast food was just a hair healthier than meal deal #1, supersized.

Though this brings to mind cost: many moons ago, I used to think that, because I was always broke, I couldn't afford as many veggies and fruit. Then I did a cost-analysis, learned how to buy in the right proportion and in the season...suddenly I realized that it's way cheaper to buy veggies and fruit--and not buy so much that it goes to waste!--than to buy mac n cheese and the like. And to be honest, when in Spain the 'authentic' fast food was relatively cheap--like 5 euros--for quite a decent sized portion of food. Bottom line is, do we know how much (roughly) this food was? If you live in a place with meager cooking facilities, if anything, you probably don't have much money to start with...so this 'fast food' couldn't have been very expensive.

Here's your price, thanks to Martial (I quoted this in /Empire of Pleasures/). He is addressing an imaginary poverty-stricken or miserly friend:

From a bowl of ten olives more than five are left for next time; a single serving provides two dinners; you drink the thick dregs of red Veientan; your hot chickpea soup costs an as, your sex costs an as. (Martial 1.103)

An as being a copper coin, one-tenth of a denarius. 'Veientan' is low-grade local wine, from Veii. So that's fast food, Roman style. (And probably fast sex, too.)

There's a joke in there somewhere...I'll just leave that alone :)

Thanks, AD...so, bascially, a fair amount of food (for 2, no less!) for not much money. That sounds about right; the poor need to be fed, too.

Thanks, AD...so, bascially, a fair amount of food (for 2, no less!) for not much money. That sounds about right; the poor need to be fed, too.

Depends on the Standard of Living. An as might have been a small fortune to a poor person.

And it really is cheap--the average Roman earned 1000 sesterci per annum, which is 2500 asses per year (literally, if Martial is correct).

So one could make an as of oneself quite cheaply?

From a bowl of ten olives more than five are left for next time; a single serving provides two dinners

Better be big olives... I personally can't make myself stop at 5! (Though calorie wise I should!)

So you could become a big as? Please forgive me.