UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Book List Recommendation

Ursus

I'm trying to compile a list of resources to present to aspiring Romanophiles.

Please list a few of your favorite books in any of the following areas:

- History and Politics

- Military and Warfare

- Culture, Literature, Art & Architecture

- Religion/Mythology & Philosophy

- Latin (teaching texts or books in Latin)

- Daily Life

- Biographies of famous personas

- Miscellaneous

The books you list should not assume more than a basic university education, and they should not be especially hard to find sources. Also, if you know of a good DVD or video cassette recording with an educational Roman theme, please mention it.

Thank you.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm partial to the ancient sources.

Appian - The Roman History (very underated ancient historian)

Caesar - Gallic War and Civil War

Cicero - Many writings

Dio Cassius (Cassius Dio) - History of Rome

Galen - On the Natural Faculties (Medical)

Josephus - The Jewish War

Livy - History of Rome

Marcus Aurelius - Meditations

Pliny the Elder - Natural History

Pliny the Younger - Volumes of letters

Plutarch - 'Lives' Over 60 biographies of Greek and Roman personalities

Polybius - Histories

Ptolemy - Geography (among other scientific and mathematic works)

Suetonius - Lives of the Caesars (From Caesar to Domitian, its more about entertainment than history)

Tacitus - Germania and Agricola, Annals (of Imperial Rome)

Vegetius - The Military Institutions of the Romans

• 2 weeks later...

I am almost done reading a good book called Cicero: Life and Times of Romes greatest politician. Even though I disagree with part of his title it is a really good book and a good change after several months straight of McCulloughs books. It recounts Ciceros life from the beginning and really focuses on his various writings such as On the State and some of his other writings. It gives a different perspective on Cicero and his dealings with Gaius Julius Caesar, as well as Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus. It is by Anthony Everett who is also in the process of writing a similar style book on Augustus, can't wait for that one.

I'll definitely read anything on Augustus that's half way decent since he's informally my hero. ;)

I read some books this past few weeks that I'll try to review. But if I never get around to it ... I'll say that _A Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome_ by Adkins and Adkins is an excellent general survey of Roman civilization. Also, for anyone interested in the serious study of Roman paganism, I recommend _The Gods of Ancient Rome_ by Robert Turcan.

• 4 weeks later...

This thread did rather poorly, considering we have well over a 100 registered and presumably literate members. However, I ordered another round of books, and within 2 or 3 weeks I'll be compiling my own suggested beginner's list of reading material.

Given all the classical themed movies that Hollywood is producing these days, sites like this might experience greater trafffic from those whose interest has been piqued. For those who want to study Greece and Rome beyond the superficial aspects, I feel having a ready made reading list to show them might come in handy.

• 1 month later...