UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Imaginary Battle

To Augustus Caesar... The Legiones Augustus Magna remain ready to serve Rome and its Caesar. However, our victory was by overwhelming strength and therefore I have decided to decline your generous offer of a Triumph, and I shall not be upset if Macer chooses differently.

The sheer gall of the man! After the expense I went to to raise those legions and now he wants me to give them up! Am I to help pay for celebratory games as well I wonder? Or is this a subtle hint to stand down?... Longinus? Augustus has called for him? Manlius, send for the tribunes. We must discuss what we should do... I fear the stakes are rising and we must be ready for treachery and subterfuge. Just in case you understand... Oh, and bring that Nephele into my tent. I want to persuade her who's side she's on...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After retiring from the Emperor's tent Macer went to his own quarters inside the city where he had taken a domus near the forum during the siege. Before he answered the Emperor he wanted to make sure he'd done his duty fully and that all his injured men were well cared for. After spending an hour doing paperwork he went outside to the town's forum under the porticoes of which had a field hospital been set up. There he walked for two hours between the injured men, calling most of them by their name and speaking some words with each.

Then he went back to his desk and wrote a letter to the Emperor :

"To Augustus Caesar Imperator from P. Laelius Macer, Salve

I thank you for your gratitude toward my men and myself. Fighting hard they did but training harder they had done, as is our way in Rome. Serving the Empire and yourself was what we had set out to do and is what we did. Yet while my men's work is now done mine isn't yet for they are still many who are wounded, men to whom my duty as general is not finished yet.

So while I do gratefully accept your gifts I beg you to allow me to keep command of a century of able bodied men and of the wounded so that I may make sure they are treated well as good servants of the Empire and get proper medical treatment. Once this is done I'll disband those last five or six hundred men and go in retirement in southern Gaul, the land I know best, ready to answer any summon and spending time writing my memoirs and reading the great authors of the past.

Vale

P. Laelius Macer"

Ah what noble and honourable generals stide by my side!! I am so proud of you both. Ralla, my man, you misunderstand me. I call on Longinus only to stay with me if you decide to stand down of your own volition. As to the terms of you leaving and retiring all costs would be returned to you. I promised much before the campaign and let it not be said I am not a man of my word!! Of course, if you dearly want to hold your army together you may do so with my blessing. You may have the added honour of naming the legion. Rome should be grateful of your services and though you decline to go on a triumphal march through Rome I will ensure evryone knows the name of Ralla!! Fear not my good servant... you have done your Imperator proud and should I now need your service again I know I can rely on your good self to defend the Roman people.

And so to Macer... a proud man and one I admire as I do Ralla. You may choose any path you wish and Rome will be eternally thankful to you. You chose your men carefully and with great pride. Both yourself and Ralla deserve the opportunity to be with your men until you decide to move on naturally. There is a very strong bond between you both and your legions and I may have been blind to that. A weakness I shall never show again. Your men are proud, you are proud and I see now they will follow you wherever you are needed.

I offer a hand to you both in the hope that you will agree to go the way of your choice with no malice. You will be rewarded as promised as will your men ut if you decide to keep your armies it should be with the understanding that should you be required to honour Rome with its defence then you shall come at all speed.

I leave the choice with you.....

Ah, slave.. Have this message sent to Palmyra. You know who must read it. Augustus is too keen to reward us. A few gauls? We outnumbered them nearly eight to one, what chance did they stand? Hardly deserving of a triumph. Perhaps Augustus means well, but I shall prepare for treachery nonetheless. As in business, in politics one must be ready... Go! And take the southern route, I don't want that message falling into the wrong hands...

Julius Ratus, sign here if you will. I lost one or two fighting those gauls, and there's always room for good centurions. Tribune, take Ratus to his new command will you?

"YUS, MASTER!"

Now I must study the maps... There is much work to do, and little time...

Macer was standing in front of two centuries of soldiers, looking proudly over his men :

"Soldiers of the Empire,

You have done your duty well, and did all that the Emperor asked from you. Whenever a task was to be found you rushed there to do it, never having any doubt nor hesitation and being willing to put your life at risk for the greater good of the Empire. You were wounded during the course of your duty, a clear proof of your courage and your dedication to our Emperor. For that he wishes to thank you and gave each of you a plot of good land to settle or to sell and where you can lead the life of proud free romans !"

A cheer welcomed the news, the soldiers banging their spears on their shields to show their pleasure.

"Soldiers now you have recovered from your wounds, and are all able to travel. Thus now comes the time to dismiss you from the army that shall always be remembered as one of the best Rome ever fielded, as good as Scipios' or Caesar's troops. I personally wish the best future possible and only ask of you to remember my name fondly and to be ready to answer the call of the Emperor should he ever feel the need to do so. In two weeks the last of your comrades will also be dismissed and I'll retire to my estates but I'll be ready to answer the Emperor whenever he should call and I'll raise my children with this sense of duty : please do so too !"

With these last words Macer dismissed his soldiers, sending them back to civilian life.

It was late in the night when Marcus Laronius Ralla leant back from the pile of maps and notes upon the desk. He ran his fingers over his tired eyes, resting from his mental exercise. The oil lamp flickered briefly, its sombre glow lending a conspiratorial air to the tent. He listened, but the night had little to say. A few men snoring in the distance, the hooting of an owl. A peaceful night...

The tent flap pulled open quickly as a dark robed man entered, his face hidden by the shadow of a heavy cowl. This impertinent stranger glanced outward, as if to check that no-one had seen him, then he yanked the flap closed behind him. For a moment, Ralla thought himself at risk. He tensed, his jaw opening involuntarily...

The stranger lifted back his cowl. The grim countenance of Rome's nemesis, Romanus Darkus, nodded in greeting.

"Gods teeth Romanus!" Ralla spat, "I thought you an assassin!"

Romanus harumphed, pouring wine to a goblet and taking his refreshment for a moment. "Ralla, had I wished you dead, we would not be speaking now. I've had a long journey. Its lucky for you the wine is to my taste. But of more important matters. Our time is fast approaching. Very soon now we shall begin the work that will lead me to the Imperial throne. I have not forgotten what Augustus did to me... My revenge will be dreadful. And you? Ahh yes Ralla, our deal. Worry not. The East will be yours. I care not for that sandy wasteland and its petty tribesmen.... Well, have you a tongue?"

"Uhh yes Romanus. Our deal is still on."

"Good. Now listen. No-one knows I'm here. There's been a setback. Augustus has banished Julia to Pandataria." Romanus waited for the significance to become obvious to Ralla, then sighed irritably as he perceived the legate had not seen it. "Julia was our best spy. Augustus found out about her liaisons however, and I think he put two and two together. Still, we have learned much, and caused Augustus no small embarrasement. I shall have our men harangue Augustus in the street to return her... You never know, it might work."

"And Postumus?"

"Forget him. He's an oaf. Anyway, Augustus will probably realise he was involved and exile him too I shouldn't wonder. I'm more worried about Livia. She's sharper than the emperor and may see through our plans before they hatch. For that reason, we must move faster than planned. Did you speak to Nephele?"

"Yes, but she hasn't said anything. I cannot guarantee she will remain uninvolved. Romanus... Augustus has something like thirty legions. I have but three..."

Romanus thumped his goblet onto the desk in anger. Wine spilled across the map in semblance of blood. "Fool! Do you think Augustus will leave his borders unguarded? He fears the germans most of all. I tried to seek embassy with Arminius but he prefers to be king of a forest. It doesn't matter, he's expendable. He's already done what I required of him. With a bit of luck Germanicus won't find him. He's not the general the senate believe him to be. Look, we're not going to move openly until we must. Besides..." Romanus almost smiled, "We have support in the east. Palmyra can supply many troops, and some arab tribes are keen to throw off the roman yoke. We may be able to match the army of Augustus man for man."

"So then... What is the next step?"

Romanus leaned closer, so that he need only whisper...

The magistrate glanced up from his work. His treatise on roman myths had almost seduced him from his social duties, and given the ardent promises of completion he had made to his friends, he considered his duty to finish the work more important.

"Slave!" He called, waiting for the youth to rush into his study. "What is that noise?"

"The marching Sir? Soldiers Sir, many soldiers. More than a legion, going to the harbour."

"Find out why will you? Be quick about it."

"Yes Sir" And the eager youth was about his task. Soldiers in Narbo? What on earth for? The magistrate shook his head and muttered how better organised things were in the Republic. Especially since he would inevitably have to provide provisions.. And vigiles... The magistrate put down his quill, stroked his chin uneasily, then got up to leave the room hurriedly. He stopped short of the door, and retreated in the face of visitors.

"Sextius Flaccus?" The lead man asked, "Are you the magistrate Sextius Flaccus?"

"Yes. And who pray might you be?"

"Your Emperor... Imperator Caesar Romanus Darkus Syrianensis, Resititutor Orbis and Pater Maximus. You, Sextius Flaccus, must kneel in my presence."

The magistrate seemed confused. "But... Augustus... Is he not Princeps? What happened-"

"KNEEL!!!"

Almost involuntarily, Sextius Flaccus knelt. He looked from face to face, but found no ally.

"Sextius Flaccus," The dark robed man stared down at him with a piercing gaze, "I bring sad tidings of Rome.... There is a sickness that afflicts the life blood of our empire. Concern yourself not with Augustus. He has become decadent, given over to sexual excess, a man who sold his own daughter to senators for their pleasure and exiles her for her refusals. Oh yes. Does it suprise you? Hmmm? That a man who is so fond of the cursed realm of the Ptolemies should be seduced by its exotic mysteries?.... These are not roman ways. A man such as he is not fit to rule. I mean to save Rome from the cesspit that Augustus offers.... You are the chief magistrate here in Narbo are you not? Let it not be said that I fail to reward those who show loyalty to Rome. You need only kiss my ring, and you will be Governor of Narbonensis."

"Governor? Of Gallia Narbonensis?..." Sextius Flaccus gazed upward as Romanus nodded slowly. Flaccus took the offered hand and kissed the imperial ring. He watched a faint smile cross the lips of his emperor, and although fearful, the chill lifted.

"Stand up Flaccus." Emperor Romanus gestured airily, "Stand up. No governor should remain so servile. Here... A warrant for the arrest of the former governor. Take whatever levies you can gather. Do with him as you will., but remember, he will be loyal to that pompous lecher in Rome. I have sent word to Hispania, and there will be cohorts to back your governorship shortly.... I need good men in the provinces Flaccus. I shall not forget that you chose the course of courage, and duty to the Empire. Come, we dine tonight, and we wish to honour your family with an impromptu display of fighting pairs...."

Laronius Ralla watched silently as Romanus Darkus led the daunted Flaccus away. He paused in reflection for a moment, then tugged at the chain holding a gaulish woman. She made no resistance, but shuffled toward the door insolently. Ralla grabbed her hood and stared at her, their eyes meeting each others gaze for a moment, before he gently shoved her forward....

Edited by caldrail

Concerned at the sound of a struggle, the guards looked into the tent. When they saw the gaulish slave woman trying to force a knife into Ralla's chest, they rushed in and pulled her away. They disarmed her with typical heavy-handedness, then attended to their legate. Laronius Ralla held his shoulder, where the woman had almost succeeded in killing him, trying to staunch the blood.

"Nasty..." The soldier commented with some bluntness, pulling some rags from beneath his breastplate. "Hold this this to your shoulder Sir, we'll fetch a physician. What about the woman?"

Ralla looked across to where she stirred groggily from the sudden beating she'd received. Betrayed! After all the care he had lavished on her! He tried to speak but winced at the pain of his wound.

"Get her out of here." The soldier commanded to another by the tent flap, "Find the Centurion, tell him what happened. Watch it, the bitch is quick with a blade... Don't worry Sir, we'll soon have you patched up."

Romanus Darkus sauntered into the tent without hiding his satisfaction that Ralla had been taught a lesson. "So... The pretty slave has claws?... Soldier, leave us. Centurion!"

"Sir!" The Centurion saluted Romanus from the entrance.

"That woman is not a suitable consort for my general. Have the men play with her - they could do with some sport."

The centurion raised his eyebrows for a moment but thought better of questioning the order. He saluted again, then turned away to carry out the task. Romanus sat down and watched Ralla lying in pain. He could hear shouts for medical aid in the camp outside the tent.

"Ralla - I want no more time wasted on that gaul. You should know better than to play with wild animals. Why else does a beastmaster keep his cats in cages? Forget her. She won't forgive you for the deaths of her tribesmen, nor her treatment to come.." Romanus glanced outward at the raucous laughter nearby. He poured a goblet of wine and savoured the aroma for a moment. At the arrival of a breathless physician Romanus motioned him to stop. "Wait outside... Numidia has fallen in with us. Soon we'll have troops trained in the roman fashion. Once these men deploy it won't take long for Augustus to realise our intentions, and that is when we must play our hand in Rome. We shall carry on as planned however. The eastern element is of vital importance. Oh incidentially, you are now divorced from your wife in Rome. There is a Syrian princess I want you to marry instead. She's not particularly comely, but I'm sure you uunderstand the necessity.... You know, you should be more careful Ralla. That shoulder looks most painful. Physician!... Put him back together... When you're feeling better Ralla, we'll speak again."

Romanus sauntered from the tent without looking back.

A party of men skulk in the shadows of a darkened alleyway. They wait patiently for the passing of late night revellers, young men staggering drunkenly and singing out loud, challenging each other concerning the dangers of late night women. Once they had gone, one of the lurkers whispered to his companions to move. They crossed the alleyway to the door of a villa, an expensive dwelling though one with a modest frontage.

They convene and quickly discuss their tactics. One man knocks upon the door. As if impatient he bangs again. And again.

"All right, allright..." Came a tired voice from inside, "I heard you. What do you mean by bothering us at this late hour?"

"Sir, " Called the leader, "Your house burns at the side! Come see!"

The door was unlocked and an older slave emerged with concerned curiosity. Immediately he was hit from behind and collapsed unconcious. The lurkers rushed inside and made no further pretence of their purpose.

Within minutes they emerged, carrying two struggling forms. Small, perhaps children. From the villa a woman was heard shrieking in alarm, and three slaves armed with cudgels ran out into the street, only to find their quarry already lost in the darkness. They called for lanterns or firebrands, another left to find vigiles...

"Senators!" The powerful voice of Assinius Nepos cut across the general hub-bub of conversation. The talking died away with an occaisional cough as the assembled senate politely waited for Nepos to continue. "I think we all know why this session has been convened!"

An eruption of agreement rose from the wealthiest and most powerful men in Rome. Assinius Nepos pointed with a scroll toward Augustus Caesar, who sat uncomfortably in the hostile atmosphere.

"This man once came before us and told us he did want to rule as dictator. How we all begged him to remain in power. The threat of brutish Antony and shameless Cleopatra had been averted. The civil wars were finally at an end, and we could now look for someone to rule Rome in peace. I confess, like yourselves, my voice was raised in assent. Now - I raise my voice to condemn him!"

Angry voices called from the Senate. Who called for or against? Rash men were at the forefront, others weighed the matter in their minds.

"Senators! Some of us have had our children taken. Kidnapped! Houses broken into during the night, or pedagogues beaten and left unconcious.Where are the peacekeepers, the protectors, that Augustus gave us? The Vigiles? The Urban Cohorts? Praetorians? Has it escaped your notice, Senators, that many of these men are spending money liberally and sleeping off their purchases in whorehouses? Has it escaped your notice, Senators, that Augustus Caesar does nothing?"

Assinius glared angrily toward Augustus with many voicing agreement.

"This is intolerable! While our children disappear before our eyes, so do our provinces! Narbonensis! Numidia! Sicily, Sardinia, and Syria! All these no longer pay roman taxes, nor do they look to Caesar for leadership. While this man, Augustus Caesar, plays the conquering hero in Gaul a rebellion has broken out!"

The Senate erupted in condemnation. They began clapping in unison. Assinius raised his hand to call for silence, and in command of the floor, turned to face Augustus.

"This man thought he could buy off his generals with parades. We all witnessed Macer strutting across our floor like a stuffed peacock. Who has he conquered?... Senators, I put it to you that a tribe of gauls were deliberately slaughtered to take our attentions away from the collapse of the roman world. This man, Augustus Caesar, tries to fool us into thinking our lands and property are safe! And how we know they are not!... Yet one of Caesars generals saw things for what they were. Marcus Laronius Ralla, a mere haberdasher by trade. Such a humble man - who now works hard to protect Rome, refused the empty honour of a triumph. He chose to retain his legions. I have been told that he tries to secure Syria, while... this man... looks the other way. Yet Ralla does not assume the mantle of ruler. No. He has chosen to follow another, exiled for so long, exiled so unjustly, who has put aside his own grievances and works to save Rome from disaster. I speak of none other than Romanus Darkus...."

Assinius noted the shocked hush that held everyone spellbound. "Senators... I speak of none other... than Imperator Caesar Romanus Darkus, Restitutor Orbis and Pater Maximus! Let us rally behind the man who fights for Rome, and throw aside the man whose mask has fallen!"

Many in the Senate rose in approval and cheered. A few glowered from their seat, some left the Senate as discreetly as they could manage. Assinius stood with folded arms awaiting the exit of Augustus...

Edited by caldrail

As Augustus came back in his office he found there a man garbed in a simple garb yet the fabric showed he was not without means. He was standing in front of the office's door under the surveillance of two praetorian. On his hand a ring whose stone he kept hidden from sight. When the Emperor came close he knelled and raised his hand toward the Emperor, showing the stone at last that marked him as an envoy of P. Laelius Macer for the ring had been given to Macer by Augustus himself.

Understanding the need for secrecy Augustus ordered the man to follow him inside the office and had the doors sealed. There, in the middle of the big room the two men talked in a low voice, the mysterious messenger doing most of the speaking in so low a voice that no one could overhear them :

- Emperor I bring you news from P. Laelius Macer. He sent me from his estate in Gaul on his fastest horse to bring you the news quickly : your governor in Narbonensis is no more loyal to you for he has fallen into the hands of an ancient evil come back to torment you. The province is now in the hands of an incapable of the name Sextius Flaccus, a corrupt wretch that was given all he owns by Romanus Darkus. Already my master has begun to take action to undermine this upstart and build a small army around a core of loyal men of the legions recently disbanded after the victory upon the Gauls. Macer has gold, thanks to your gifts to him for his victory, but it will not last very long and will only raise around four cohorts of men. Thus he intends to act swiftly and remove the false governor and prepare the province for war, waiting for you to appoint a new governor in the area. He does this as a privatus sine imperium and hopes not to incur your wrath for such actions taken with the welfare of the Empire in mind. He also asks you to provide him with orders should you judge it necessary to give him any post of responsibility.

Sextius Flaccus laughed out loud at the antics of the comic gymnast, leading the applause and offering the man a donkey, so that he might not stumble on his way home. His friends appluded the jest.

Livilla Piscatoria leaned over and plucked a grape from the bunch in Sextius's hands. He looked at her with a sly grin, she remained aloof. Ahh, the night was yet young...

There was a rumour that Macer was gathering troops, but Setxtius remained unconcerned. His warrant for Macers arrest was already in the hands of the spanish legate, and very soon Macer would be joining his predecessor for a very special contest in the arena...

Sextius gave way to temptation, dropped the grapes, and lolled over the couch with an unprotesting Livilla Piscatoria while her meek and mild husband gritted his teeth in the far corner...