UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Imaginary Battle

As he was waiting for an answer to his letter to the Emperor Macer was working hard to build a small but elite force able to repulse less trained forces with minimal casualties. He divided them in two categories : the armored heavy force and the velite. For the first he had decided not to adopt the usual equipment of a roman soldier, instead using only loricae segmentatae for all his men, a kind of armour most forces in the empire did not have yet, and had them equipped with longer metallic sleeves to protect the arms. He also had some parts added to protect the upper legs of the soldiers, better armoring them than any other man on earth. He had also raised a force of cavalry with excellent horses, two for each man, and also wearing more armor than was usual. He even had some armor parts designed for the horses to cover the most vulnerable parts of the animal's body.

It slowed his men in combat and they could get tired more easily but losses were fewer. He had also decided to revert in part to the old division into princeps and triarii so that the first line could retreat and rest behind a line of heavy spearsmen.

He also had his velite force. Equiped on the greek light infantry model they were training to shot precise volleys of light spears but could also use swords and light shields if need be. They ran very fast too.

This composite force was made of one cohort of velites, two of princeps and one of triarii, the cavalry making up a full ala. With this force he could take control of Gaul from the usurpers and hold it against reinforcements coming from Spain. He hoped that he had nothing to fear from Italy because he lacked the men to hold it...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So, Lucius, what of Macers command?"

The tribune looked up from his paperwork and grimaced. "He raises cohorts of Crupellarii. Other than that, we know little."

Venetius Felix raised his eyebrows. "So he wants to hide his men behind armour does he? Foolishness. They'll be tired long before our men, and less able to run away. More sport for the auxillaries then?"

The tribune chuckled.

"Well. lets ensure to fight on a rainy day. With luck his troops will slip and struggle to rise. We know how deal with fallen men! You know, Tribune, I believe Macer has made an expensive mistake. It doesn't matter. I have the warrant for his arrest. Send a dozen good men and bring him in."

"At once Legate..."

------======######======------

Zabbia Mahaballath was in an amorous mood. The cool night air had refreshed her and so too, she hoped, her new husband. He was a strange one this roman.

"Marcus..." She whispered, then pulled herself across. Her weight pressed upon his left shoulder - He woke with a start, groaned sharply, and pushed her away. Ralla fell back upon the bed for a moment, then he reached for her arm and held it in something approaching apology.

"Your shoulder? It still hurts?"

"Yes, it does... More than you know."

"Ahh" She nodded, "Some wounds hurt long after the pain has gone. I shall cure your pain Marcus, you will see, but you must forget the wife you left behind. I shall do my duty for Syria as you must do for Rome. Why make it a chore?"

Ralla sat upright and held her face. "Zabbia... The world is turning to war again. I have set myself upon a path and cannot turn back. I am swept along by forces stronger than my will to fight. I..."

She pressed her finger over his lips to silence him. "Marcus, do not be so foolish. We are all in the hands of gods who bend us to their will. Or dark men brought back from exile by chaldaean sorcerors... What? You think I don't know? What sort of princess would I be if I played the silly girl?... Tomorrow we travel to the Wells of Afqa. There we shall speak with tribal elders and raise the army you need..."

She leaned back and laughed out loud. "Marcus you are so ignorant! The Priests of Baal foretold that the Dark One would walk among us and rattle the Wolf's cage. And also that the wolf's cub would be mine to keep. Why else do you think I agreed to this marriage? My father was killed by Marc Antony - I have no love of Rome. Our destiny awaits my little wounded cub. If you treat me well - I will tell you more. No... Rest. We have a long way to go..."

She waited for Ralla to fall asleep before she slipped from the bed and went to the window. The city of Antioch was quiet before the dawn. Zabbia knew peace was slipping away so she stayed by the window and waited for the sunrise.

In the marketplace of Gabes, the hot african sun was shaded by the multitude of awnings spread over the wares on offer to the argumentative buyers. This was not a great commercial center, so understandably the market was modest and its wares equally so. All the more reason that a gaulish woman attracted attention. She reclined on staw bales, securely tied. A few passers-by noted her beauty, and although she bore obvious signs of harsh treatment, the owner refused to consider offers.

"Hekaimon! My old friend. What are you hiding from the sun back there?"

Hekaimon sighed at the approach of Sulinos, a greek merchant, who swatted aside flies and strangers with equal distaste. His corpulent belly had not gotten smaller, a sure sign he had profitted since their last meet.

"Sulinos... Your appetite has not abated then?"

The fat greek chuckled, clutching his belly instinctively. "Well... Its paid for, isn't it? Enough jollity. The woman..."

"Not for sale Greek. Get your slaves elsewhere."

"No no no, my friend, where there is beauty, there is wealth to be had, and I have taken a shine to your possession. May I take a closer look?"

Hekaimon sighed and shook his head, a gesture that the stubborn Sulinos ignored. He leaned closer to the gaulish woman who promptly kicked his shin. Sulinos yelled in suprise more than pain, and was further shocked when the woman tried to bite him. He withdrew, staring at the pair in alarm.

"Feisty little vixen isn't she?" Hekaimon laughed, " Used to be consort to a roman general so I gather, at least until she tried to kill him! I told you she wasn't for sale. This woman goes to Lepcis Magna on the next caravan. I have done a deal with a lanista there."

Sulinos wasn't amused, neither at the threat of physical harm nor the lost opportunity of a trade. "Oh? Well... Perhaps the woman is troublesome and not worthy of my attention.... But forgive my curiosity. To which general did she belong?"

"Ralla. Marcus... ahh, what was his name?..."

Now Sulinos laughed again. "Ralla? The very same Ralla I used to cheat in Ostia? Ha! The man has no wits whatsoever."

"Perhaps. But I hear he rises to greatness in Syria. He has married royalty, and many say he is another Marc Antony. Then again.... Look over there... No, past the butcher stall.... There! You see those soldiers? Notice the black shields."

"I don't recognise the symbol."

Hekaimon lowered his voice. "The scorpion. Symbol of Romanus Darkus. His men are everywhere in Numidia these days. Tribes in the desert have begun flocking to his standard. Mauretania and Cyrenaica will not be free for long. Soon Africa will be his. Sulinos... We haven't always been friends, but... Watch yourself. People vanish and houses burn very quickly these days."

Sulinos grimaced, acknowledged the advice, then waddled away with a quiet farewell.

Edited by caldrail