UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Imaginary Battle

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmmm... I wonder if Ralla's has those new silk togas...my hunny would love one of those!

We've got silk, we've got cloth, we've got wool, we've got strange stuff from India, we've got poverty chic, we've got bargains, bargains, BARGAINS! Are we making sufficient sales Manlius?

"Yus, Master"

Excellent. My seventeen slaves have been sewing for 48 hours solid, I've got contracted slaves all round the city preparing garments for you wonderful people. Now then, since the coffers are building up, to more serious matters. Lets have a look at these new recruits my wife has been gathering.... Hmmmm.... handsome looking lot. Why are they all smirking I wonder?

A messenger comes riding to the imperial residence, carrying a message marked with the seal of P. Laelius Macer :

"To our Princeps, Pater Patriae, Salve.

I am currently in Mediolanum where the recruits are coming to form our units but as you now this takes some time for many lives two or three days from the town and the news had to reach them, they had to prepare and then come. I currently have some 3 cohorts mobilized.

Since time is of essence I decided to send some messengers in Gaul with orders for the nobles of Lutecia and Durocortorum, ordering them to prepare food so that I can leave Italy with the assurance that I'll have food waiting for me when I arrive on the terrain of operation and that Durocortorum will be able to withstand a siege. To that city I also sent a veteran centurion and an experimented engineer with orders to prepare a local militia and to strenghten the defenses of the city, should I need to fall back.

Also I've seen that many of my men lack scutum or even lorica hamata ( not speaking of the new lorica segmentata ). Since I could not wait for enough armor to be produced I gave orders to those two cities to produce as much armors and weapons as they can and I'll take the artillery of the southern Gaul garrisons when I'll go through these areas, saving me some more time in order to intervene more quickly in the north.

I read your Divine Father's books on his wars in the area and I could not notice how important is the use of cavalry for the enemy has a good one and will have an even better one if German mercenaries are brought in by our foes. Thus I ordered the levy of a full ala of allied cavalry from the Lutecia area, which I hope to find completely formed when I'll get in the town, some 3 or 4 weeks from now depending on the day I leave Mediolanum. Those horsemen will serve as scouts for me and will be a powerful tool should the enemy have it's own cavalry.

I don't want to rush my men too much for two reasons : even if I do have quite some veterans, even 3 who were soldiers under Q. Cicero during the siege of his camp by the Eburons during the campaigns of your Divine Father, many recrue are raw and must be taught how to carry a sword. And of course how to build a night camp or a proper camp, which are important crafts as shown by your Divine Father's campaign. Also I don't want those men exausted when we arrive because poor soldiers coming dead tired on the battlefield is a sure way to come to death and I'm sure you don't want a new Arausio or Cannae. Yet rest assured I'll proceed with all due speed.

Respectfully,

P. Laelius Macer

Legatus Divi Augusti

P. Laelius Macer, Salve

I note your activities and great urgency in training, for what is admiitedly a raw section of recruits, all men who are capable of doing their duties for Rome. I shall ask that great speed is maintained and every opportunity to push things should be used but not over stretched. I have arranged for extra arms to be sent to your under equipped units and you should receive them soon enough. Foodstuffs should be taken from the local surrounds if possible. but choose well... many inviting plants aren't what they seem as you know.

Keep me informed... have signalling posts placed along route that can be mobile if needs be and use them to get information to me faster than we do at present.

Ave...

Augustus Caesar, Emperor, Rome

From P. Laelius Macer came another letter four days after the Emperor had sent his latest dispatch.

"To our Princeps, Pater Patriae, Salve.

I thank you for the weapons. May I ask that they be loaded on ships at Ostia and sent to Massalia from where they should be sent to Lugdunum on the river Rhone ? I'll leave Mediolanum in two days with 5 raw cohorts, half a legion, and go to Lutecia in order to collect the cavalry I've ordered and begin some reconnaissance with them. I've named three legates who will leave Mediolanum two days after they got their own 5 cohorts ( for some time is to be allowed to settle the men into the units and make sure they know how to pack for the travel ), to go to Lutecia too. Indeed I think getting on site and gather information by myself is more important a task than look at my veteran friends training some raw recruits or putting older men back in form. I know those men well and thrust them to be able to train the men as well as is needed and possible under the current conditions. It won't be Marius' legions at Vercellae but I garentee you that it'll be the best army to be had under the circumstances.

As ordered I'll make sure a system is set up to keep you advised of any progress.

Vale

P. Laelius Macer

Legatus Divi Augusti

Yes, now the first legion is looking like an army... Whats that man doing there? Have him flogged, I'll have none that plebby behaviour in my legions.... Well, centurion, are the men shaping up well?

"Yus, Master"

Excellent. I'll have to raise the other two elsewhere... Spain. I'll raise one in Spain. Nice and close to the theater of war for convenience. Have my servants send word to the governor there, you know, wotsisname... And the third? Germans. Definitely germans. All big hairy men you don't like the big hairy gauls. That way I form a trident from the east.

Oh, scribe, write a message to our beloved Augustus, Invite him to a passing out parade so I may dedicate the I Legio Augustus Magna properly. Ah yes, this time the gauls will taste the sourness of uttter defeat...

"Yus, Master"

Ah, my legions are getting ready for the great battle. This is nice to see. I have been hearing plans are being drawn up by my two loyal generals and things are going ever so swiftly. Now I know the governor in Germania is a little restless with the Gaulssitting pretty at his border but he should fear nothing. The Gauls want us to fight at the border and we shall. Little do they know of our planned attack.

I must get a message to Nephele to leave camp and join our own troops so the great spy can deliver information to the Gaulish louts that will get them in a frenzy to fight on open ground. This is essential to our success. It is important that Macer and Ralla give her sufficient detail but not too much in case her cover is blown.

I will soon travel north into the Germania heartlands where coordination efforts can be monitored and messages can be relayed at speed. My Praetorian will be with me as will one of the finest legions in Rome, the I Victor Caesaris. My plan for their deployment is top secret but I may not need them.

I will leave Rome in four days where I can reach my camp in time for hostilities.

Ulpius sends data to me about a rogue merchant ship selling dodgy wine to Rome and upon its discovery north of Carthage he sinks it. We have no further evidence of this ship being treachorous in nature and would welcome an explanation.

So then, we have two armies to converge upon troublesome Gaul. Perhaps we should imitate the success of your nemsis oh Caesar and lead these gauls into a trap of our own devising? Inform them that we invade and can be found at a certain place? They're only ignorant barbarians. Such a ruse will make short work of them. Especially if they are unaware of a second army....

Wise counsel indeed Marcus L Ralla. It is not known as yet to me whether the Gauls know for definite for is only one force heading their way. Yet, even if they suspect two I would have tought they would not believe this to be the case. Secret word from Nephele has given more information about their tactical decision to stay on the borders for a good while yet. This is excellent news. It means they really don't suspect a second army to attack.

I give you permission to draw the Gauls from their camp to engage on our terms. The tactical decisions are now passed to my two generals to decide between them the next course of action and how you intend to draw the enemy out of their camp. However, I do suggest drawing them on a northward path as this will add credence to the fact we are attacking with only one army. They will not suspect the great speed of the army approaching from the south and then to be attacked from the east too will panic them. They will be ill prepared to fight on two fronts and will not be able to defend their flanks how they would like and in the numbers they require.

The battle is now yours my faithful generals!! Do not let me down. I am on my way to my camp and should expect good news about your approach. I will arrive in two days and would expect any tactical attempt at drawing these barbarians out of their camp to be well under way and nearing completion.

ROMA VICTOR!!!!!!

Could we but allow the savages to "hijack" a merchants wagon filled with honeyed cakes (with an additional filling of henbane and aconite) ?

My first legion has now regrouped and moved out of Lutecia with the cavalery ala while half of my second legion is in Durocortorum, the rest not 5 days away.

Also an ambassy of 15 nobles from the Parisii is gone to the northern camp of the barbarians to try to cause enough fear in them so that as much barbarian as possible gets home. They'll also try to charm them with the virtues of the Empire. In any case they will be good sources of information on both the land ahead and the barbarians themselves.

I must group the Agmen Magna before I attack. My three legions will have to force march from Italia, Germanica, and Lusitania. Well they're soldiers aren't they? Do them some good. However, I will require some days for them to recover from the march if they are to fight at full strength. I am currently busy with sundry matters pertaining to this campaign - why can you never find good adminsitrators? - and I leave the matter of who is the bait to you Bryaxis. merely name the place and we will march upon it. Might I suggest a ruse to aid things along? There's nonthing to rouse gaulish recklessness like a bit of roman atrocity. Whoever is the bait should find a gaulish habitation of reasonable size and assault it without delay. leave enough bodies - I'm sure that will be necessary - but enslave the rest and keep them out of the way. Rome for instance? The slave markets are quiet this season. Then, ensure that news of this atrocity reaches their ears. Make sure they know it was but a small roman detachment. It wouldn't do have a entire province rising in unison. oh, and also ensure that we buy off the tribes who aren't so keen spill roman blood. lets divide and conquer.

No need to use such violence my dear Ralla, no need at all, at least not yet. I'd like better to increase support by loyal Gauls as much as possible, to show that we are the civilized ones and those on the border the barbarians. Since your forces are still so far from the battlefield I'll use the time to better scoot the land and I'll play the bait with one of my legions and my cavalry in order to draw them toward Durocortorum where my second legion awaits while improving the fortification and where huge stocks of food and all my artillery are kept. They will think that only my bait legion is in the town and they'll besiege me, giving you some time to come behind them at which time I'll do a sortie. Also the siege will discourage some of them who'll get home all by themselves.

But this plan means you'll have to act soon enough for even with food aplenty and good fortifications my men will not be enough to hold the city against those barbarians among whom might still be some veterans of the wars against Caeser who might remember a bit about siegecraft.

Words of caution my dear generals... do not be fooled into not attacking and trying to bring some loyal folk to our side. There is little time to negotiate. We will see where their loyalties lie soon enough.

Maybe a distant call of using some fine herbs was heard along the way. It may be useful to deploy this method at some point if time is really stretched. Beware the innocent Gauls offering truce and allegiances...

"Men of the Legiones Augustus Magna! You have trained hard. You have suffered the blisters and abrasions of men unused to army life. So do all legionaries. Be proud that you have made it through basic training, for now we must fight for real. Our allied legions in gaul are shortly to be besieged by those hairy barbarians of whom you have heard. Fear not. They are not roman, nor do they have roman courage. We march now to the aid of our friends in Gaul. Let no man falter. For all of us who return to barracks will be men victorious, men courageous, and men with gaulish gold!"

Ahh, now that should rouse the mens fighting spirit....