UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Money Money Money

sullafelix

Hi All

I have a real poser for someone. I am trying to compare prices in the Republic. I am fine on sesterces denarii asses etc. However, I have a price in quadrigati. I know what and when they were but have no idea what they were worth relative to other coin types. I have tried the various dictionaries and numismatics sites to no avail, so now i am throwing myself on someone else's mercy.

Any help out there??????

I'll give ya a denarius?

SF

Edited by sullafelix

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for missing this SF... The quadrigatus was the Roman equivalent of the Greek didrachm. It weighed roughly 6.8 grams (6 scruples). It was replaced by the Victoriatus which weighed 3.4 grams (3 scruples) and was based on the value of the drachm. The Victoriatus was originally worth 3/4 of a denarius (and later was valued at half a denarius when it was re-introduced as the quinarius c. 101 BC).

Since the Victoriatus was worth 3/4 of a denarius and was half the size and weight of the Quadrigatus, the quadrigatus would have been worth 1.5 denarii.

At 1.5 denarii, the quadrigatus would've been worth roughly:

6 sestercii

7.5 dupondii

15 asses

1/16 of an Aureus (based on Augustan values since it hadn't been issued yet)