UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

How Did Augustus Die?

Octavia

I'm curious about Postumus. I've read the passages in Suetonius/Tacitus and the quote above merely restates the same views. So what exactly did he do? Ok, the description suggests he was overly aggressive, rude, perhaps arrogant, and certainly didn't care too much what people thought of him. But there's no mention of any one event that shows him in a bad light, and given Suetonius's penchant for recording sensationalist gossip in particular, why hasn't his behaviour been illustrated by an anecdote as most historical figures of the time did? I find that most curious...

I'm curious about Postumus. I've read the passages in Suetonius/Tacitus and the quote above merely restates the same views. So what exactly did he do? Ok, the description suggests he was overly aggressive, rude, perhaps arrogant, and certainly didn't care too much what people thought of him. But there's no mention of any one event that shows him in a bad light, and given Suetonius's penchant for recording sensationalist gossip in particular, why hasn't his behaviour been illustrated by an anecdote as most historical figures of the time did? I find that most curious...

It's seem that Postumus was much less talented than his older brothers as Augustus, who was very eager to see a descended of his own blood as his heir, never gave him any military training nor design him to any civil duties (in a sharp contrast to Gauis and Lucius who were design Consuls in their teens). Base on those facts it's seem that his adoption by Augustus didn't have anything to do with his dynastic plans and was due to his affection to his last surviving grandson.

Now we probably would never know what incident brought upon Postumus his exile however it's was probably to him demanding to play a role in states affairs (perhaps with the instigation of his mother former associates) and given the evidence about his nature who may safely assume he wasn't much tactful in him demands and gravely insulted Augustus in some way.