UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Drusus the younger

Octavia

According to Cassius Dio Drusus the younger was "so prone to anger that he even inflicted blows upon a distinguished knight and received on this account the nickname castor.

This statetment was supposed to be taken as ironic as Castor was the patron god of the Roman ordo equester.

Although the guy should have been called Drusus, the author of I Claudius[/], Robert Graves, needed to seperate him from the other Drusus (Claudius's ill-fated father). Therefore a nickname was convenient.

Salve!

His nickname really was Castor:

Cassius Dio Roman History Book LVII cH. 14:

"Yet he was so given to violent anger that he inflicted blows upon a distinguished knight, and for this exploit received the nickname of Castor"

... after a legendary gladiator:

Horace, Epistle XVIII to Lollius, SEC. 19:

"Why, whether [the gladiator] Castor or Dolichos be the cleverer fellow; whether the Minucian, or the Appian, be the better road to Brundusium."

His cruelty gave his name to the sharpest of swords- known as a Drusian.

Salve!

His nickname really was Castor:

Cassius Dio Roman History Book LVII cH. 14:

"Yet he was so given to violent anger that he inflicted blows upon a distinguished knight, and for this exploit received the nickname of Castor"

... after a legendary gladiator:

Horace, Epistle XVIII to Lollius, SEC. 19:

"Why, whether [the gladiator] Castor or Dolichos be the cleverer fellow; whether the Minucian, or the Appian, be the better road to Brundusium."

His cruelty gave his name to the sharpest of swords- known as a Drusian.

As Cassius Dio see no need to explain his nickname to his readers I tend to think my explanation for the name is more likey. Dio did write his works in the times of the Severan dynasty and to accept the gladiator explanation we should assume that this Augustun age gladiator was well known centuries later, personally I find it hard to believe.

As Cassius Dio see no need to explain his nickname to his readers I tend to think my explanation for the name is more likey. Dio did write his works in the times of the Severan dynasty and to accept the gladiator explanation we should assume that this Augustun age gladiator was well known centuries later, personally I find it hard to believe.

This explanation comes from the note 3 of the Loeb Classical Library edition (1924) of Cassius Dio Book LVII.