UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Quintus Sertorious

Sertorious

Does anyone know if there is a published biography of Quintus Sertorious in existence. My efforts to date have failed to turn one up. I find him a very interesting character, and there are bits and pieces about other than Plato, but I cannot find s serious biography on him and his life. I was told of a Portugese book but have failed to find it - and I am an Englishman!

Help

Does anyone know if there is a published biography of Quintus Sertorious in existence. My efforts to date have failed to turn one up. I find him a very interesting character, and there are bits and pieces about other than Plato, but I cannot find s serious biography on him and his life. I was told of a Portugese book but have failed to find it - and I am an Englishman!

Help

Salve, QS!

Apparently, the classic biography would be that from Adolph Schulten (1926?); a more recent work is Quintus Sertorius and the legacy of Sulla by Philip O. Spann, Fayetteville, the University of Arkansas press (1987). There's also Plutarch's Sertorius: a historical commentary by CF Konrad (1994).

As you may imagine, books about contemporaries (Sulla, Marius, Caesar, Pompey, etc.) or globally of the late Roman Republic (vg, The Roman Revolution by R Syme) have many references about your homonym.

Regarding primary sources, besides the obvious biography by Plutarch, please remember there is another Plutarch's book that made the comparison of Sertorius with the Greek Eumenes, multiple references in the Plutarch's biographies of Sulla, Marius, Pompey and Lucullus, and also in the respective chapters of other Greco-latin historians like Appian or Cassius Dio.

Anyway, I sugest you to take advice from the senior members of UNVR.

I hope this may be useful.

Edited by ASCLEPIADES

Help

Salve, QS!

Apparently, the classic biography would be that from Adolph Schulten (1926?); a more recent work is Quintus Sertorius and the legacy of Sulla by Philip O. Spann, Fayetteville, the University of Arkansas press (1987). There's also Plutarch's Sertorius: a historical commentary by CF Konrad (1994).

As you may imagine, books about contemporaries (Sulla, Marius, Caesar, Pompey, etc.) or globally of the late Roman Republic (vg, The Roman Revolution by R Syme) have many references about your homonym.

Regarding primary sources, besides the obvious biography by Plutarch, please remember there is another Plutarch's book that made the comparison of Sertorius with the Greek Eumenes, multiple references in the Plutarch's biographies of Sulla, Marius, Pompey and Lucullus, and also in the respective chapters of other Greco-latin historians like Appian or Cassius Dio.

Anyway, I sugest you to take advice from the senior members of UNVR.

I hope this may be useful.

Salve Asclepiades and my gratitude! I am an idiot - I meant Plutarch when I erroneousley typed Pluto. He does rather like Quintus, doesn't he? I shall start trying to track down some of the other works though.

Thanks again

Quintus!

Additionally, there is a very nice commentary on Plutarch's Sertorius HERE. While searching for biographies of Sertorius, please note the spelling--Sertorius, not Sertorious.

Thanks Porcius. I keep doing the spelling error. I shall certainly check out the Plutarch link.

Cheers

Quintus