UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

New research challenges knowledge about the origins of urbanisation

Viggen

Ancient cities arose not by decree from a centralized political power, as was previously widely believed, but as the outgrowth of decisions made by smaller groups or individuals, according to a new study from researchers at Harvard University, the University of Cambridge, and the University of Edinburgh.

Published in the Aug. 31st Science, the research was led by Jason Ur, assistant professor of anthropology in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University, with Philip Karsgaard of the University of Edinburgh, and Joan Oates of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research of the University of Cambridge.

full article at Eurekalert

Ancient cities arose not by decree from a centralized political power, as was previously widely believed, but as the outgrowth of decisions made by smaller groups or individuals, according to a new study from researchers at Harvard University, the University of Cambridge, and the University of Edinburgh.

Published in the Aug. 31st Science, the research was led by Jason Ur, assistant professor of anthropology in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences at Harvard University, with Philip Karsgaard of the University of Edinburgh, and Joan Oates of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research of the University of Cambridge.

Salve

Does anyone else find it interesting what prompts people to involve themselves in different fields of study? This man Jason Ur, finds an interest in Ancient Urbanism and Urbanisation especially in relation to and around the ancient city of Uruk. Tell me there is nothing in common here, as it seems more than a coincidence to me, and that we are inspired by our own names as much as by anything else.

Does anyone else find it interesting what prompts people to involve themselves in different fields of study? This man Jason Ur, finds an interest in Ancient Urbanism and Urbanisation especially in relation to and around the ancient city of Uruk. Tell me there is nothing in common here, as it seems more than a coincidence to me, and that we are inspired by our own names as much as by anything else.

What a neat observation, Faustus! Who knows whether our names have any influence on us, although it's fun to make those sorts of connections.

I don't know whether Dr. Jason Ur is of Jewish descent but, if he is, then his last name of "Ur" would be a Hebrew name meaning "flame" or "light". Dr. Jason Ur could then be viewed as a metaphorical bright flame or light in the world of anthropology. So, the name works well on that level, too. :D

Great article, Viggen. :lol:

-- Nephele

The finding is also interesting for Roman history. Was Rome "founded" in a single act that united the disparate villages of the seven hills, or did the city emerge slowly as a result of commerce among the disparate villages? If the Ur-pattern is universal, we should favor the latter theory.

Sorry Viggen

for going off topic, as urbanization is a worthwhile and fascinating subject. We don

Edited by Faustus

What I conclude from Faustus' well-chosen examples is this: The origin of Ur may not be found in conscious planning, but the origin of other cities often is. Or, to put it another way, the origin of urbanization as such was not planned, but the continuation of urbanization from that origin was often one of planning.

Speaking only of the ancient world one certainly found a mixture of planned cities (like Alexandreia) and unplanned cities (like Ur).

full article at Eurekalert

(By Your Leave: Mea culpa ~~ I edited too late and messed up! I