UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Some questions on Rome

RomanItaly

Hello everyone, I'm new to these boards.

I've always been a history enthusiast, and the Roman Empire has always enticed me (perhaps because I am Italian, hehe).

Anyway, I have a couple of questions, please.

- I remember hearing (watching?) once something about the decline of the Roman Empire, and that during that period, an architect or historian sent a letter to the emperor (or a book, I can't remember) asking him to invest in some technological innovation. He presented some sketches on what he felt should be accomplished. Anyone know the name of that person, or the book, and the inventions?

- This may sound stupid, but - has there ever been a theory that perhaps the Roman Empire is an extension of Etruscan civilization, or perhaps that the Etruscans founded Rome?

- I remember hearing (watching?) once something about the decline of the Roman Empire, and that during that period, an architect or historian sent a letter to the emperor (or a book, I can't remember) asking him to invest in some technological innovation. He presented some sketches on what he felt should be accomplished. Anyone know the name of that person, or the book, and the inventions?

I think you refer to an incident that Suetonius tell about emperor Vespasian:

"To a mechanical engineer, who promised to transport some heavy columns to the Capitol at small expense, he gave no mean reward for his invention, but refused to make use of it, saying: "You must let me feed my poor commons." (Life of Vespasian, 18)

I remember hearing (watching?) once something about the decline of the Roman Empire, and that during that period, an architect or historian sent a letter to the emperor (or a book, I can't remember) asking him to invest in some technological innovation. He presented some sketches on what he felt should be accomplished. Anyone know the name of that person, or the book, and the inventions?

This one is a bit too vague for me. Could be Ingsoc's suggestion above but I get the feeling you are referring to something much later in history. It sure doesn't sound like anything that Pliny wrote to Trajan anyway. Anything else you can come up with to give a bit more detail would certainly be helpful. For some inexplicable reason I'm drawn to the works of Zosimus and Procopius, but I can't find anything in particular.

This may sound stupid, but - has there ever been a theory that perhaps the Roman Empire is an extension of Etruscan civilization, or perhaps that the Etruscans founded Rome?

Absolutely. The theory that Etruscans founded Rome is fairly wide-spread today. Many disagree, but it doesn't alter the fact that the theory exists. While the actual origin of Rome, Latins, Etruscans, etc. will continue to be researched and debated, there is no question that Etruscan culture had a major impact on the development of Rome and its culture.

You might be referring to the fall of Constantinople. Constantine XI was offered a superior cannon by a Hungarian. He refused, and the Hungarian then offered them to Muhammed II who accepted. It was the superior cannon which is said to have decided the siege.

- This may sound stupid, but - has there ever been a theory that perhaps the Roman Empire is an extension of Etruscan civilization, or perhaps that the Etruscans founded Rome?

The etruscans dominated the region in the early days, and most of the kings of Rome were etruscan. The etruscans influenced the urbanisation of the tiber valley and provided some of the basis for roman customs. The roman empire was created by the domination of the republic by one man as ruler without the customary restraints of republican government. The republic itself was founded when the romans got fed up of the kings and had the last one thrown out. tarquinus Superbus is supposed to have raped a latin woman named Lucretia, and that was the final straw. He tried to win his kingdom back but lost.

The etruscans dominated the region in the early days, and most of the kings of Rome were etruscan. The etruscans influenced the urbanisation of the tiber valley and provided some of the basis for roman customs. The roman empire was created by the domination of the republic by one man as ruler without the customary restraints of republican government. The republic itself was founded when the romans got fed up of the kings and had the last one thrown out. tarquinus Superbus is supposed to have raped a latin woman named Lucretia, and that was the final straw. He tried to win his kingdom back but lost.

Would it be logical to assert something like that Roman civilization was an extension of its Etruscan predecessor? Is that much too radical?

I'm writing a paper, and I was considering that as my thesis....

And you guys, thanks for trying to help find that historian/person.....

It's so far none of the above. He didn't work for any Byzantine emperor, I don't think the Roman Empire had been that old by the time he came up with his letter....

I only wish I remembered at least the emperor...

The romans had their own culture but it was influenced by the etruscans. Not really an extension I'm afraid although there is some commonality. The romans were hill farmers before the city was built using the valley between the seven hills as a meeting place between the villages. As I mentioned, the etruscans dominated the region - the romans voted for etruscans as their kings more often than not. I have read on these forums that the etruscans (being a little known culture these days) were not indigineous to the area. They also provided funeral rites that helped inspire gladiatorial combat in later times.

Seems to me that Etruscan influence in Rome was enormously strong even when Rome was not under her political dominion. Etruscans immigrated to Rome in large numbers, brought their culture and values with them, and later served Rome in the very highest capacities. If you're writing a paper on the topic, make a list of the notable families that came from Tusculum etc, and you'll see that the very best of the Romans were often Etruscan.

Seems to me that Etruscan influence in Rome was enormously strong even when Rome was not under her political dominion. Etruscans immigrated to Rome in large numbers, brought their culture and values with them, and later served Rome in the very highest capacities. If you're writing a paper on the topic, make a list of the notable families that came from Tusculum etc, and you'll see that the very best of the Romans were often Etruscan.

Well, if it's something I can prove - than I'd like to do it on it. I just have to scrounge around for sources...

And I think I found out the man I was looking for: Flavius Vegetius Renatus, and his "De Re Militari".

Anyone know about that?

And I think I found out the man I was looking for: Flavius Vegetius Renatus, and his "De Re Militari".

Anyone know about that?

Absolutely, his work on the Roman army provides excellent insight into the structure of the Roman legions, though it is much more an overview than a detailed treatise. Unfortunately, critics claim that since he was neither a historian nor a soldier his work is dubious. Essentially, he was compiling data to send to the emperor in order to prove that the army needed to be reformed.

Regardless, I don't recall him asking the emperor (either Valentinian or Theodosius) specifically to adopt a new invention, but rather to return to the old methods of recruitment and training. Of course, feel free to dig around for yourself though... http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/home/war/vegetius/

Anyone know about that?

Absolutely, his work on the Roman army provides excellent insight into the structure of the Roman legions, though it is much more an overview than a detailed treatise. Unfortunately, critics claim that since he was neither a historian nor a soldier his work is dubious. Essentially, he was compiling data to send to the emperor in order to prove that the army needed to be reformed.

Regardless, I don't recall him asking the emperor (either Valentinian or Theodosius) specifically to adopt a new invention, but rather to return to the old methods of recruitment and training. Of course, feel free to dig around for yourself though... http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~madsb/home/war/vegetius/

Didn't his fourth book deal with some kinds of inventions?

Any good reads on that? It'd be mighty useful for my thesis.

I can give you a few names of notable gentes that were of Etruscan origin, all of which can be found among the magistrates of Rome's Republican era: Perperna (or Perpenna), Tarquitia, Ancharia, Arruntia, and Volcatia.

-- Nephele

I can give you a few names of notable gentes that were of Etruscan origin, all of which can be found among the magistrates of Rome's Republican era: Perperna (or Perpenna), Tarquitia, Ancharia, Arruntia, and Volcatia.

-- Nephele

Fascinating. Something that I could definitely use to support it.

Speaking of Etruria, I found this fascinating article off the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7028330.stm