UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Military Architecture throughout the Empire?

I was thinking about this the other day. Comparing defenses from the Rhine and Hadrian's Wall I have noticed their are slight differences. My question is, were the Romans ever heavily influenced by the cultures that surrounded them to adopt different architecture techniques? When they were in the east, did they still only build their watch towers from stone and wood, or did they adopt the adobe type construction? Just curious.

It depends. Roman military architecture was standardised for efficient construction regarding wooden fortresses - almost a flatpack product - but in deserts? The roman forts out in the sahara are very different from the stone and brick tile construction we see in europe, and large sections of Hadrians Wall were originally built up from turf. Local materials are likely to be used so its a fair guess there was local variety. Despite the often quoted point that the layout of roman fortresses were the same layout, under close examination it turns out that apart from a basic similarity no two fortresses are the same.