UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

For GhostOfClayton

Nephele

Your avatar is a representation of John Clayton, a 19th century lawyer and amateur archaeologist. He was painted as a Roman centurion by William Bell Scott in honor of his efforts to preserve Hadrian's Wall, and this painting hangs in Wallington, a country house owned by the National Trust, west of Morpeth in Northumberland, England. Your avatar is relevant because you share John Clayton's interest in and passion for the preservation of Hadrian's Wall, leading walking tours along it.

Okay, what's my mystery prize? :ph34r:

-- Nephele

Your avatar is a representation of John Clayton, a 19th century lawyer and amateur archaeologist. He was painted as a Roman centurion by William Bell Scott in honor of his efforts to preserve Hadrian's Wall, and this painting hangs in Wallington, a country house owned by the National Trust, west of Morpeth in Northumberland, England. Your avatar is relevant because you share John Clayton's interest in and passion for the preservation of Hadrian's Wall, leading walking tours along it.

Okay, what's my mystery prize? :ph34r:

-- Nephele

Very nice work, Nephele. You're obviously one sharp cookie, and I'm suitably impressed. Now we each need to do one more thing: You need to tell me the (full) name of the painting, and I need to think of a devilishly clever mystery prize, which doesn't involve posting something a very long (judging by your 'from' entry) way. I'm not tight with money, you inderstand. I'm just concerned about the environmental impact of all those air miles (honest!)

PS Go on . . . tell me how you knew.

Very nice work, Nephele.

Thank you!

You need to tell me the (full) name of the painting...

"The Romans Cause a Wall to Be Built for the Protection of the South" (painted 1857). Inscribed over the top of the painting are the words: "ADRIANVS MVRVM DVXIT QVI BARBAROS ROMANOSQVE DIVIDERET"

PS Go on . . . tell me how you knew.

I'm somewhat of a detectrix (like my friend, Flavia Gemina) :ph34r:

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele