Trajan Attack On India?

RomanItaly

Could Trajan have invaded India?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Could Trajan have invaded India?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno

Well, when Trajan attacked the Parthians in 113, he was 60 years old. When he stopped almost four years later he was a sick old man who didn't even make it back to Rome.

Just based on that, if he had buzzed through Parthia with no problems and held it with no rebellion Trajan still would have been far too old to attack India. He still had a fair chunk of land to go through to get to India and the native peoples have been known since ancient times to be implacable foes while an invader was in their homeland.

I say Trajan couldn't have invaded India since his manpower, money, resources and health were against it.

I would say he could not have invaded India. His supply lines would've been stretched too far, making them easy tragets for the Ligh Cavalry of Parthia. Not to mention that he would surely face the problem that Alexander had in India, troop weariness.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe attacking is one thing, taking control another and to keep the area over a longer period even a more difficult task. In my opinion India was just too far away and for logistical reasons it would have been a bad idea...

As written it all depends on your definition of "Attack".

Is a small troop poking their roman noses south of the hindu kush considered an attack?

However I feel safe in saying the chances of the romans invading and retaining India as part of the Empire to be next to nil.

Although nothing is impossible.