UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Marcus Antonius reputation

Ingsoc

At the time of Augustus Marcus Antonius was described as a debanchure man who forgot who he, betray Rome, become a slave to Cleopatara and so on, however it's seem that he receive some sympathy from Augustus' heirs.

"and not content with this slur on the memory of Augustus, he forbade the celebration of his victories at Actium and off Sicily by annual festivals" (Suetonius, The Lives of the Caesars, Life of Caligula, 23)

"He did not leave even Marcus Antonius unhonoured or without grateful mention, declaring once in a proclamation that he requested the more earnestly that the birthday of his father Drusus be celebrated because it was the same as that of his grandfather Antonius." (Suetonius, The Lives of the Caesars, Life of Claudius, 11)

Was this a indication that Antonius reputation was rehabilitate (at least partly)? and if so did it happend because Caligula and Claudius were his decendences? and if so is this rehabilitation survive the fall of the Julio-Claudian dynasty?

Edited by Ingsoc

Was this a indication that Antonius reputation was rehabilitate (at least partly)? and if so did it happend because Caligula and Claudius were his decendences? and if so is this rehabilitation survive the fall of the Julio-Claudian dynasty?

It's a likely explanation, though I suppose we can never be sure. We had a forum member (Phil25) who used to routinely support the notion that Caligula was simply trying to emulate Antony's Hellenistic style monarchy in Egypt; hence his support of Antonius to show a precedent for his sort of imperial behavior.

In any case, after Nero, Antonius is for the most part a non entity. The Flavians and the adoptive emperors were more concerned with connecting themselves to Augustus and the Julio-Claudian line.

Was this a indication that Antonius reputation was rehabilitate (at least partly)? and if so did it happend because Caligula and Claudius were his decendences?

It's a likely explanation, though I suppose we can never be sure.

That was especially the case for Claudius:

(C. Suetonius T., De Vita XII Caesarum, Divus Claudius, Cp. XI, Sec. II-III):

"Then turning to the duties of family loyalty,... He did not leave even Mark Antony unhonoured or without grateful mention, declaring once in a proclamation that he requested the more earnestly that the birthday of his father Drusus be celebrated because it was the same as that of his grandfather Antony."

Was this a indication that Antonius reputation was rehabilitate (at least partly)? and if so did it happend because Caligula and Claudius were his decendences?

It's a likely explanation, though I suppose we can never be sure.

That was especially the case for Claudius:

(C. Suetonius T., De Vita XII Caesarum, Divus Claudius, Cp. XI, Sec. II-III):

"Then turning to the duties of family loyalty,... He did not leave even Mark Antony unhonoured or without grateful mention, declaring once in a proclamation that he requested the more earnestly that the birthday of his father Drusus be celebrated because it was the same as that of his grandfather Antony."

Yes I read this same quote in Ingsoc's opening post. ;) I was simply attempting to suggest that we can't be sure if Antony's reputation was actually rehabilitated, beyond these few imperial mandates. Did the people actually hold any reverence for Antonius, or were they simply forced not to celebrate the more famous achievements of Augustus? That's what I don't believe we can be sure of. Obviously, the sources are quite clear that the reasoning for the attempt to do so was because of the family heritage.

Yes I read this same quote in Ingsoc's opening post. ;) I was simply attempting to suggest that we can't be sure if Antony's reputation was actually rehabilitated, beyond these few imperial mandates. Did the people actually hold any reverence for Antonius, or were they simply forced not to celebrate the more famous achievements of Augustus? That's what I don't believe we can be sure of. Obviously, the sources are quite clear that the reasoning for the attempt to do so was because of the family heritage.

Sorry for the reprtition ;)

BTW, maybe the extinction of the discredited Gens Antonia had also something to do with the rehabilitation of Marcus Antonius, as from now on the members of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty were his only living descendants at Rome (plus the Numidian Dynasty in Mauritania):

(C. Tacirus, Annals, Liber IV, Cp. 44):

"Lucius Antonius too then died (25 AD), of a most illustrious but unfortunate family. His father, Julius Antonius, was capitally punished for adultery with Julia (the Elder, 2 BC), and the son, when a mere youth, was banished by Augustus, whose sister's grandson he was, to the city of Massilia, where the name of exile might be masked under that of student. Yet honour was paid him in death, and his bones, by the Senate's decree, were consigned to the sepulchre of the Octavii."

BTW, maybe the extinction of the discredited Gens Antonia had also something to do with the rehabilitation of Marcus Antonius, as from now on the members of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty were his only living descendants at Rome (plus the Numidian Dynasty in Mauritania):

(C. Tacirus, Annals, Liber IV, Cp. 44):

"Lucius Antonius too then died (25 AD), of a most illustrious but unfortunate family. His father, Julius Antonius, was capitally punished for adultery with Julia (the Elder, 2 BC), and the son, when a mere youth, was banished by Augustus, whose sister's grandson he was, to the city of Massilia, where the name of exile might be masked under that of student. Yet honour was paid him in death, and his bones, by the Senate's decree, were consigned to the sepulchre of the Octavii."

I don't really sure, techniclly Lucius Antonius was of the gens Antonia, however he was also the grandson of Octavia so it's seem he was unofficialy a member of the gens Octavii.

And beside I don't see any motive for Tiberius to pay sympathy to Marcus Antonius.