UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Marcus Caelius

Proof of Citizenship

There is a very instresting study by David Noy, Foreigners at Rome, London 2002, where you can find that much population at Rome was due to immigration. The epigraphic evidence prove that population turnover was very high and from everywhere in the empire.

I tend to agree with the idea that there were large communities of immigrants from other parts of the Empire living in Rome. Just look at the list of popes from the beginning to the 9th century. You'll find several non Romans, including Syrians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_popes

Even after the demise of the West Roman Empire, immigrants flooded into Rome. Many arrived as refugees from once Roman provinces now ruled by Arab and other conquerors.

There is a very instresting study by David Noy, Foreigners at Rome, London 2002, where you can find that much population at Rome was due to immigration. The epigraphic evidence prove that population turnover was very high and from everywhere in the empire.

This is undoubtedly so. But how many of these immigrants claimed citizenship is another issue, though of course the question becomes moot after Caracalla when everyone was a citizen. However, in (for example) the very substantial Greek and Jewish communities in Rome, it is very probable that most people knew who was a citizen and who was not. Bear in mind that citizenship determined whom you could trade with and whom you could marry, so it was not just a status thing. In fact, generally the name itself was a dead giveaway, as those made citizens adopted the family name of their sponsor, and this gave another route of inquiry.

Bear in mind that citizenship determined whom you could trade with

Really? A citizen couldn't import goods from non-citizens? Then how did Rome trade with her neighbors? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but I thought there was only one restriction on trade -- senators couldn't engage in sea trade (legally).

Bear in mind that citizenship determined whom you could trade with

Really? A citizen couldn't import goods from non-citizens? Then how did Rome trade with her neighbors? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but I thought there was only one restriction on trade -- senators couldn't engage in sea trade (legally).

Maty is right. Was forbidden to commerce with strangers with Roman laws. It could be possible with normal (and private) negotiation. But in that case ius didn't grant for injustice.