UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Knights templar

Pertinax

This is most interesting:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071012/tts...-bed299d_2.html

look at the work that is going into this project!

This is most interesting:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20071012/tts...-bed299d_2.html

look at the work that is going into this project!

Salve, P.

It seems like Papal revisionism as a response to the notorious success of The Da Vinci Code and similar stuff.

Most interesting indeed and potential material for a couple of Best-Sellers, but I would think mostly innocuous.

It would be in some way analogous to Galileo's affair.

How will this affect the Masons?

They will need to roll both trouser legs up, stand on a box and pin a frog to their lapels.

The Knights Templar was a religious military order like others in the medieval world. It all stems from Pope Urban II, who received a letter in 1097 from Emperor Alexius of Byzantium asking for some military help against the turks who had invaded section s of the eastern empire and occupied jerusalem. It is interesting that the turks did not persecute christians at this time, but having a christian site occupied by saracens of a heathen faith was too much. The pope held a meeting and declared it was less sinful to kill a non-christian. That sparked off the first crusade, and its astonishing just how powerful the christian hold over peoples hearts and minds was at that time. Sure, a lot of men went east for more earthly reasons (to grab land and cash) but entire villages in europe downed tools, packed a few belongings, and went off to do their duty in the holy lands. Now that soldiers were allowed to kill for christ, it was simply a matter of doing that as service to christ for those of a more spiritual nature, thus the military orders came into being. Apart from the religious duties required, these men were effectively operating as modern private military providers do today, offering security services. Inevitably they got rich, and that was the problem. The rumours of conspiracies and secret agendas through the masons are tripe more or less. It was all about money from the start, and it was money that finished them.

The bigger question to my mind is just what other "lost" documents from Medieval history (and possibly Antiquity) are conveniently concealed within the Vatican archive, just waiting for some Pope to "discover" them when the time is right.

Maybe we need to send in UN inspectors.

The bigger question to my mind is just what other "lost" documents from Medieval history (and possibly Antiquity) are conveniently concealed within the Vatican archive, just waiting for some Pope to "discover" them when the time is right.

You may be a little too cynical and suspicious. I am sure that there are untold numbers of unknown and un-indexed tomes in Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Moslem, and private institutions. In many cases they don't know what they have. I see no reason why they would withhold a document from antiquity or medieval times. I am sure that they do withhold some, but this is their property, and thus, they have a right to do so.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Many things changed in this world since the time of the Principate, but the church it's still here, a creature from before the Deluge. Time moves different for this institution compared with mortal humans and states. No need to rush things when you have 2 millenia behind and a secure future. 700 years to remake a trial... Still pointless for those burned at stake. Those "heirs" of the templar don't care about reality, so there will be no dramatic chage here.

The UN inspectors might find WMD in the Vatican Library and we'll see a fight between the Swiss Guard with their funny costumes and the US Marines.