UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Africa.

I understand that the Carthaginians sailed down the west coast of Africa and may have set up trading posts. Are there any records of the Romans doing likewise?

Salve, GO.

Once upon a time (12 days ago) you made a similar question in this related thread; reading carefully your answers (and links) would be probably a good beginning.

Valete.

Yet roman vessels sailed to Ceylon, and possibly further since roman goods are known to passed hrough Cambodia and reached China. However, an important consideration is whether there were any markets for roman traders. The supply of animals for the arena is not to be underestimated - it was an emormous logistic enterprise that whilst risky, was potentially lucrative. Given the increasing hardship of finding these beasts to stage performances all over the empire, it isn't so difficult to think of roman traders taking the plunge and pushing further round the coast of africa. However, the question was whether there are any records of such, and I have to say I'm not aware of any. The romans did however have a written guide to travelling the indian ocean.