UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Roman music?

Gippy

I've been told that the ancients sung their poetry rather than just reciting it flat out. I was wondering if any of that music was preserved somehow, and if so, where it could be found.

If not the music, do we have replicas of ancient Roman/Greek instruments?

If not the music, do we have replicas of ancient Roman/Greek instruments?

I know of at least two groups that have been performing and recording Roman period music using recreated instrumentsFurther details are available as follows

http://www.ancestral.co.uk/index.html - Main site for David Marshall who wrote and recorded a mixture of Roman and Medieval music

You can separately buy

Thank you for posting those links Melvadius! I've been trying to get hold of genuine Roman music for a while. They used to sell CDs on Amazon, but I checked for them a while back and I couldn't find a trace of them.

But they do still sell copies of Ancient Greek music. Here's one example on Youtube:

Ancient Greek Music with Images

What's interesting about this is that the poem is narrated over the music instead of being sung, like the Roman fashion. The second poem is sung however. I don't suppose anyone knows how to speak ancient Greek? If so, what are they saying?