UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

The Romans carried out cataract ops

Think of the Roman legacy to Britain and many things spring to mind - straight roads, under-floor heating, aqueducts and public baths. But they were also pioneers in the health arena - particularly in the area of eye care, with remedies for various eye conditions such as short-sightedness and conjunctivitis. Perhaps most surprisingly of all is that the Romans - and others from ancient times, including the Chinese, Indians and Greeks - were also able also to carry out cataract operations.

The Romans were almost certainly the first to do this in Britain...

BBC

Indeed, and the fineness of the equipment (from the "Italian " end of the Empire) puts modern tools to shame. Certainly macular problems and conjunctivitis seem to have been especial problems in Roman Britain (the constant references to eye salve accrediation stamps), I conjecture that a lack of vitamin A , C and D amongst non-native troops in gloomy Britain might have conspired to make this situation worse. A and D can be dealt with via a nice oily fish diet (or decent exposure to sunlight..a precious commodity here).So a dull winter with dull provisions (not unlike mariners suffering the early stages of scurvy) might have made the situation tricky for those from warmer climes.

"Another form of 'couching' was with a sharp metal probe that would be inserted, without anaesthetic through the edge of the iris, into the eye, and wiggled around to dislodge the cataract from the pupil."

However did they manage to restrain the conscious and unanesthetized patient? And who would submit willingly to such a procedure? I think I'd rather go blind.

-- Nephele

I suspect that either the chewing of poppy skins (with some residual latex) or the use of henbane herb ,(hyoscine as used today as a pre-med) would be the desired medication (if affordable). The former is accredited for dental work and the latter is more commonplace , but would require skill in dosage versus body mass . Alcohol might be a possibility , certainly id need to be very drunk. My suggestion might be that , as with other procedures, skill and speed were built with practice on the servile so the more fortunate might at least have an uncomfortable, but speedy, excision.

Heres a shot from 2006 from II AVGs visit to the Roman Villa at Gargrave:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...si&img=2143

John the Medicus is showing me the delicacy of the eye surgery equipment.

Here is a previous dentistry shot:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?automo...=si&img=923

we can see that subtle work could be done.