UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pompeii Board Game

Primus Pilus

My wife and I occasionally play this fun and relatively simple board game. The idea of the game is to get as many people as you can into the city before Vesuvius erupts, then you have to get as many out as you can before the lava flow overtakes the entire city (yes it was pyroclastic flow rather than lava, but it's a board game for goodness sake :) )

Boardgamegeek.com for lots of player reviews and such.

Amazon

What fun! I just checked it out, and I'm going to order one for myself.

Hey, PP, do you make the little people SCREAM as they scramble for the city gate? Because, I couldn't resist doing that.

-- Nephele

Hey, PP, do you make the little people SCREAM as they scramble for the city gate? Because, I couldn't resist doing that.

-- Nephele

Oh yes, especially because those who don't make it have to be put into the volcano :) (cheap plastic volcano thing provided in the game).

-- Nephele

Oh yes, especially because those who don't make it have to be put into the volcano :) (cheap plastic volcano thing provided in the game).

You make the little people SCREAM as you put them into the volcano? That's like sacrificing them to the Hawaiian volcano goddess, Pele. Game bonus!

-- Nephele

-- Nephele

You make the little people SCREAM as you put them into the volcano? That's like sacrificing them to the Hawaiian volcano goddess, Pele. Game bonus!

-- Nephele

It's a historical cross-genre cornucopia!

When one has been imbibing a bit heavily on the vino, the set up stage (dealing the deck of cards that determines the flow of the game) can be a bit confusing. Considering that we only really play when we have been doing just that, I can't be certain that we've ever played the game just right. :) (I jest of course, but yes, sometimes it takes a moment of intense focus for the instructions to make sense)