UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

History Of Rome...

Are there any Books that anyone knows of that give a REALLY good description of the "what if?" questions. I've read Grant's work and Goldsworthy's Work, but I'm looking for a realistic portrayl of what might have happen had the republic lasted longer, or not toppled. I'd like to thank everyone for the Rome in 2005 topic, VERY interesting and im just looking for more if its out there.

I've read some books by a British author by the name of Sophia MacDougall that cover just this topic. They are called 'Romanitas' and 'Rome's Burning'. I liked them. She includes a timeline in the back of the books from the time of Septimus Severus up until 2004, when the books are set.

Have a read if you can get them. They are very character driven, but Ms. MacDougall does spend some time in her novels on illustrating how the Empire managed to dominate the globe.

I've read some books by a British author by the name of Sophia MacDougall that cover just this topic. They are called 'Romanitas' and 'Rome's Burning'. I liked them. She includes a timeline in the back of the books from the time of Septimus Severus up until 2004, when the books are set.

Have a read if you can get them. They are very character driven, but Ms. MacDougall does spend some time in her novels on illustrating how the Empire managed to dominate the globe.

There's also a book by Robert Silverberg called Roma Eterna which is similar to the one's mentioned above.